First Rabbit in the Bag (actualy it's in the sink)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Docherty

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2010
Dorset
Got myself a Rabbit today and seeing as one of my cheap Elk Ridge knives had shown up
http://www.zxsports.co.uk/elk-ridge-pro-timber-full-tang-trekker-knife-er-067-162-p.asp

I decided to have a go at skinning and gutting the wee fella.
So I read SiberianFury's How too and watched this lightning fast northern bloke: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlY8K23MEJ8

Needless to say I made a right old hash of it (didn't get all the skin off before cutting the entrails out).

But I got there: A big plastic bag full of guts to get rid of and a lovely, nice clean rabbit carcass having an ice cold bath in my sink.

My other knife http://www.bladesandbows.co.uk/gut-hook-hunting-dagger-by-elk-ridge-639-p.asp should be arriving tomorrow so I'd best get myself another bunny for the pot.

Last edited:

Docherty

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2010
Dorset
Yeah I bought it yesterday at about 2:00 in the morning and it was here by 12:00 :D
Very cheap but a good strong, full tang, sharp knife - could do with a proper scabard though - Looking forward to field testing the hunting dagger/gut hook.

Sorry for any offence Leafman

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
oh no offence fellas, i just mean that when you get some quarry, you should do everything you can not to waste any of it. with the speed he ri[pped that pelt off, would any of it be usable? im no bunny hugger, but i dont think you should show off like that. sorry if others have a different view
mike

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Who says he was showing off? When you do a job enough times you get quicker at it. He probably just knows the job and how to get it done. I can see your point though.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
i didn't see he was showing off at all i never bother trying to keep rabbit skins whole because they're too thin to bother with. just because you chuck bits away doesn't mean you've no respect for your quarry i chuck the heads and feet away still respect the animal

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
You need to remember that rabbits are vermin to a lot of people, and are on the DEFRA vermin list, so they are treated slightly differently by a lot of people that hunt rabbits than some folks might imagine. They are a pest, like pigeon or rats, for most people in the UK that hunt them regularly; a lot of hunters dont keep them at all & leave them in the bushes for Charly. If you hunt for rabbits regularly then that is the way it has to be, as you cant spend all the time needed to get every usable thing off a dozen rabbits, especially at this time of year when there are a lot of young ones about. I dont want to start an argument here, just saying how it is from my perspective....

Like most of us, I like the idea we have been taught of respecting the animal by using every part of it & it makes sense if you are a hunter/gatherer. It's a romantic ideal that makes a lot of sense if you depend on the caribu (or whatever animal you mainly hunt) as it promotes respect for the animal, prevents over hunting etc..
While I respect the animals I hunt, you need to understand that most pigeon shot over a cornfield or rabbit shot in a headgerow will end up a fox food.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
You need to remember that rabbits are vermin to a lot of people, and are on the DEFRA vermin list, so they are treated slightly differently by a lot of people that hunt rabbits than some folks might imagine. They are a pest, like pigeon or rats, for most people in the UK that hunt them regularly; a lot of hunters dont keep them at all & leave them in the bushes for Charly. If you hunt for rabbits regularly then that is the way it has to be, as you cant spend all the time needed to get every usable thing off a dozen rabbits, especially at this time of year when there are a lot of young ones about. I dont want to start an argument here, just saying how it is from my perspective....

Like most of us, I like the idea we have been taught of respecting the animal by using every part of it & it makes sense if you are a hunter/gatherer. It's a romantic ideal that makes a lot of sense if you depend on the caribu (or whatever animal you mainly hunt) as it promotes respect for the animal, prevents over hunting etc..
While I respect the animals I hunt, you need to understand that most pigeon shot over a cornfield or rabbit shot in a headgerow will end up a fox food.

Good shout Neumo.

The respect part comes from killing it quickly and cleanly.
I must say that everything I kill gets eaten, the guts go in the hedge for charlie, I keep the best bits and the ferrets finish of the rest - bones fur/feather n'all.

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
As much a romantic as iam, i am too a realist and i respect that this is a way of life and a job for some.you are right that they are vermin, and an over looked resource. Points taken guys, i will keep me trap shut next time.
All the best fellas

Docherty

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2010
Dorset
Well here's the end result anyway:

30654_445467305967_512085967_5679860_1564527_n.jpg

Delicious! Even if it is slightly panicky eating something you've killed, cooked and prepared... no explossive bowel movements yet though and no parasitic worms are telling me to jump off a building either - Huzzah!

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Thanks for the above comments. I do eat most of the rabbits I shoot; except for the small ones & those with Mixy, but I am one of the few that does amongst the people I shoot with or the landowners I talk to. I do view things differently for animals like deer & always try to respect the chosen quarry, always trying to give them a quick send off.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE