First trip out in the new canoe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Nice one. Sounds like you had your work cut out from the off. :D
You don't say what you thought of the boat. Did you scratch it? Did you think "pointy corracle" at any point? Did you even notice it on the drive?
That tipping out thing in the tailwind is bad. It doesn't surf worth a damn. The Pack's a funny wee beastie but I hope it suits you. Try edging(sooner rather than later - it really likes it) and c-strokes and good luck getting back into it. ;)

By the way, I measured this paddle and it's 8½'.
Popped a couple of 360 photos onto Panoramic Earth, one from the last time you were there.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Your canoe is WAY too shiney!
You must get it out as often as you can to cure this problem - running shallow rapids while carrying full camping gear helps. I would recommend the stretches of the Spey above Avimore for this.
As to deep water rescue with a boat full of kit there are realy only 2 options - 1 - tether everything on a long line,and rescue as per normal before pulling all the kit back to you or - 2 - Lash everything in tight so that the boat does not fill up with water....
Air bags are essential kit!
Self rescue far from shore can be a real problem but - as I have proven to myself - is not impossible......a drybag full of kit lashed to one end of your canoe-pole with the other lashed to your centre thwart can make a good outrigger to give stability for a reentry of a swamped boat and during the bailing......a drysuit realy helps keep you warm when you are doing this!
I knew a bloke who carried divers flippers on this boat...he was not much good at self rescues and figured they would help him swim his boat to shore if he capsized on open water.....

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Your canoe is WAY too shiney!
You must get it out as often as you can to cure this problem - running shallow rapids while carrying full camping gear helps. I would recommend the stretches of the Spey above Avimore for this.

No, I wouldn't want to hurt poor Precious

Well not yet anyway :D

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Nice pics, look like a great trip.

Had to scroll up to see where you were when I saw the wallaby..................................

Did I miss that part of history class where it says "Australian settlers discovered a large island off the coast of Europe and introduced many species....??????"

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I was in two minds about the Pack, I paddled one the other week, it was kitted out with a low slung, plastic seat; 'The Angler' model. It was pants to paddle, as you couldn't really sit properly or kneel in the boat.

I'm glad I had second thought's though, I picked up a bargain last Sunday!
P4130074copy-pack3rd.jpg

The boat is a dream to paddle, completely different to the one I tried out, although exactly the same hull.

It's largely thanks to Shewie, that I decided to go for it, very inspirational;)

Cheers all:)

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE