First tracking steps!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
I startled a muntjac on a walk today (they are quite common in my local woods) and easily found it's tracks. But I went one better and found muntjac tracks (sans muntjac) crossing a path in a completely different part of the woods. What's great is that I'm finding that I'm spotting stuff now without too much effort. The more in tune with the surroundings you are, the more you see. :)

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
That's great! The door has opened now though... you won't be able to go anywhere without looking for tracks, gone are the days of wandering along looking at the scenery!
It sounds as though you are a natural, keep at it :D

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Ha! Gone are the days of just being able to 'go for a walk'! As the obsession starts to grow try to avoid the following:-

*Getting muddy knees while at a (dull) family wedding after spotting Hedgehog sign
*Leading a party of older rellies/younger kids/spouse on a "Wild Goose Chase" in the woods (it was red deer actually...)
*Missing the scenery/ the wonderful views/photo opportunities because you're sniffing poo

Keep at it - it's one of the best skills in the world.

Jan 24, 2007
Milton Keynes
Viruskiller

The same thing hapend to me on Saturday! for the first time as well.

I found some Muntjac tracks (i recorgnised the tracks from the Preban book). i followed them through the very small wood then lost it.

It was then i thought 'what would a deer be doing walking this way' and thought about the river. I walked to the river and picked up the tracks. i would never have thought like this without trying to track (and i have also started reading SAS tracking by bob crass).

i have a photo of the tracks (if anyone is interested i will upload)

happy tracking!

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
I saw six muntjacs yesterday (a record for me): A group of three, a pair, and a munty-no-mates. You can get quite close, but they're happier if you keep walking, bolting if you tend to stop and look. This lot didn't need tracking!

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Viruskiller

It was then i thought 'what would a deer be doing walking this way' and thought about the river. I walked to the river and picked up the tracks. i would never have thought like this without trying to track

That's the way to think, don't bother with looking at every single footstep and bit of sign.

The aim of tracking is to close in on your quarry, some people have their noses to the ground and don't bother looking up and ahead of them or thinking whre the quarry might be heading. You should always be assessing in your head the general direction, most likely exits, likely exits and unlikely exits. An animal is much the same as us, it isn't going to waste energy negotiating an obstacle, in most instances it will find the easiest route around it.

If I saw something heading in the general direction of a hedge and there was only one gap in the hedge, I'd mark the last known sign and head straight for the gap. Chances are that's where I'll pick up the trail again.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Great to see you've been bitten by the bug. There's so much more to tracking than just ID'ing the tracks and putting your nose to the ground though.

I love muntjacs. I not so much tracked but followed one and came across it's mate earlier last year. Video below if you're interested.

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
*Missing the scenery/ the wonderful views/photo opportunities because you're sniffing poo

Ahh yes, here is a picture of me running a yoga retreat. I took my students out for a lovely stroll in the woods to relax and yes I did end up making them sniff poo on a stick! Note one girl walking away in disgust and the others wondering why they booked a weekend with the mad woman :lmao:

n794045703_1202128_8576.jpg

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Ha! ha! Genius! Note also your complete absorbtion, while your clients are making a break for it, and the look of polite distaste/disbelief on the woman behind you! The pic I use as an Avatar is by Mrs Nyayo when we went back to RSA a few years ago - she found it very droll when I started to examine the warmth of Ellie droppings by hand.....

Ede

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
Ha! ha! Genius! Note also your complete absorbtion, while your clients are making a break for it, and the look of polite distaste/disbelief on the woman behind you!
It was a really stinky badger poo, I not only tried to make them sniff it but had a good look through it to see what the badger had for lunch!

The pic I use as an Avatar is by Mrs Nyayo when we went back to RSA a few years ago - she found it very droll when I started to examine the warmth of Ellie droppings by hand....

:lmao: Glad it's not just me!

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
It was a really stinky badger poo, I not only tried to make them sniff it but had a good look through it to see what the badger had for lunch!

:lmao: Glad it's not just me!

I'm just curious to know why you had to sniff it?

Have a root around to see what it's been eating? Yes, by all means.
Sniff it? No thanks! No information to be gained from doing that.

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
I always teach people to sniff scat because if you have any doubt in your mind as to what animal left it behind you can tell by the smell. I always teach groups that I take out tracking to get to know the different smells made by different animals, your nose is an important tool when tracking!

In this case the group thought it was a fox but I tried to teach them that in order to make sure you can have a good sniff. I later found some fox scat which I also made them smell to see the difference between the two, which in all fairness did on this occasion look very similar.

By the end of the walk I had won them over and they were happily wandering off tracking whenever they had a spare moment for the rest of the weekend. One of them even found a badger latrine because they were familiar with the smell from earlier and followed their nose! :D

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I can sort of see your point where beginners are concerned, as I've seen them before where they need every shred of evidence to remove all doubt out of their mind.

For me, normally the location of the doings is enough of an indicator as to which of the two it is without even having to get near the stuff. I know what it is already and there's no way I'm sniffing it! :yuck:

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
My lovely wife gave me a charming book, entitled 'The Encyclopedia of Poo' as a sort of joke present some years ago. Actually (in a slightly sad way) full of useful colour, close-up photos...:eek:

bear knights

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Cornwall
I have the same book!! Its great for leaving in the bathroom especially if people want to know if they're part racoon, part human.

think sniffing scat when out tracking is just one of those old habits I can't shift now, and worringly, I'm not sure I want to stop.:eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE