First time wild camping and climbing Ben Nevis.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

samknight89

Sep 13, 2011
portsmouth
4 of us are travelling up to Scotland over night in order to get there for a Thursday afternoon. We are then going to wild camp around scotland until we return home on Sunday. So we are camping for 3 nights in total.

Can anyone recommend some nice places to stay which are no more than a few hours drive from each other? Obviously we will have a car with us so we need to be able to park somewhere safe before we set of to find
the location.

We want to climb Ben Nevis on one of the days so will most likely have to camp near by the day before, but for the other two nights we really would like to find a good place maybe next to a beautiful loch or maybe even a sandy cove somewhere. I have never been to Scotland before so have no idea where to start.

I would be grateful of any help and advice as I really want to get the most out of this short trip :)

Thank you

johnnyneuro

Jan 5, 2007
Cambridge
Are you proper fit?

Many years ago I did a hike from the golf course (car parking there) via the mountain hut, ascending to the summit via a final climb up the south face. Descending the pony track, I then followed the path into Glen Nevis wild camping there. The next day I ascended Aonach Beag and Aonach Mòr heading back to the car park. A high water mark for my camping/hiking trips - really fantastic.

Two things to bear in mind:

1. Midges - you will need to completely covered (everywhere! + head net) or inside a tent for the last/first couple of hours of day light.

2. Weight - these mountains are seriously steep and high. Every gramme is vital. If you can do without it, do without it.

There are alternatives - the eastern side of loch ness is about as remote as it gets.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
There is a small lochan about a third of the way up the tourist path (lochan meall an-t-suidhe?) where I camped some years ago, it's a good jump-off point for an early start on the Ben. If you haven't done so already, get the Mountain Master 1:25000 map and brief yourself on the proper bearings to get off the summit in the case of bad weather. There are some very steep runouts where the unsuspecting soul can simply walk off to their death. I am assuming you have experience in this type of hill walking and/or climbing and have suitable kit?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE