First Time Canoeing on White Water

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Went out last week in the canoe and had my very first white water trip and really enjoyed it :)

We were on the lower section of the River Doon which runs from just outside a village called Minishant to the sea at at a town called Ayr. This section of the river is about 8 miles and I believe is a grade 2. Water levels were very low so there was a lot of scraping and getting stuck but this was probably quite good as it meant that the rapids were not too fast for a newbie like myself.

Only managed to come out the boat once and I still can't figure out how I done it :D although this was good to see how to recover the boat and negotiate the rapid using the painter on the rear of the boat.

One thing I took from this is that I really need to outfit my canoe properly with airbags and proper lashings but I can do this over time now that I have a better idea about moving water.

Anyways I had my GoPro Hero 2 mounted on my boat and helmet so made a video and here it is :)

http://youtu.be/Qh9jMqVDaas

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Thanks Ed a great time was had by all.

I keep finding myself venturing onto Kayaking websites now Mary but the prices are ridiculous although they are very nice shiney pieces of kit :) Can see me maybe going down that route one day but I have to say I really enjoyed it in the canoe, I think because you really have to think about how you enter rapids because of the length of it then it adds to the fun and makes it somewhat more challenging.

That said my next eBay search will still probably include the word kayak :lol:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE