First Spyderco Delica vs Persistance vs ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigboned

Forager
Feb 17, 2016
Ireland
Hi All, looking for my first spydy. Not wanting to spend too much and looking for a full flat grind apx 3” blade for edc/ food prep
Don’t mind resistant steels but full stainless not necessary
Looking at the Delica but hate the handle, cutaway stuff and I see the stainless version is only in a Sabre grind, the persistent looks similar but should I worry about the ‘value line’

My head hurts looking at all the permutations.
It’s not my first knife by a long shot and I suppose the best way to describe what I’m thinking is a folding necker! Does that all make sense? I’ve a decent size mans hand but not farmer shovels
Any advice?
Cheers
Andy

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
No worries with the value line at all, they’re all very good.

I reckon you’d get a more versatile knife if you went for the Tenacious with the 3 and 3/8” blade, I’ve had one as a work knife for years and it does everything from spreading butter and food prep to whittling fire sticks.

Fairly sure I’ve seen one in the Classifieds here or somewhere recently. There is a Paramilitary 3 on here for sale at a pretty good price. Hell of a knife, may be over budget, but you’ll not look back if you decide it’s for you.

Last edited:

Bionic

Forager
Mar 21, 2018
Bomber county
I’m pretty sure all the Delicas are stainless not just the sabre grind (my full flat is at least). I’ve had one for a month or so now for work use and I’m very happy with it :)

bigboned

Forager
Feb 17, 2016
Ireland
No worries with the value line at all, they’re all very good.

I reckon you’d get a more versatile knife if you went for the Tenacious with the 3 and 3/8” blade, I’ve had one as a work knife for years and it does everything from spreading butter and food prep to whittling fire sticks.

Fairly sure I’ve seen one in the Classifieds here or somewhere recently. There is a Paramilitary 3 on here for sale at a pretty good price. Hell of a knife, may be over budget, but you’ll not look back if you decide it’s for you.

The designs of these all look pretty similar so Is it all about the steel? Or do the locks come in to play?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
What are the laws in Ireland for EDC knives? In the UK none of those would be suitable for EDC really since they all lock which puts them in the same category as sheath knives, for which one must have a "good reason" which tends to translate into a specific reason that is applicable for the entire time that the knife is carried. In the UK there is no useful reason for having a 3" locking knife rather than a 3+" locking knife, unless you really have small hands. That said, a lot of the Spydercos are going for shorter blades, in response to many jurisdictions limiting legal carry by blade length.

The Polestar looks good and at a higher price point,
The Native 5 and Sage 5 have G10 handles.
The Manix line isn't bad either, although the larger ones can be rather bulky and heavy.

Looking at the Delica it appears to simply have a deeply checkered FRN moulded handle. A lot of the light weight FRN models are similar.

The Chinese made line have G10 and would probably do very well for your needs, no problems with them. Sure they don't hold an edge like the S30V stuff, but they sharpen well and are very good value.

While I think that Spyderco are a really great company, I think that Benchmade still have the edge when it comes to providing knives for camping and outdoors. For real every day, Spydercos are good, their flatter handles do carry well, while the Benchmades tend to have fatter handles that are more comfortable in heavy use, but are less easy to carry. For outdoor stuff the Griptilian range is good, but the new Bugout looks like it could be really good. CORRECTION 21/11/18. I got to handle a Bugout last week, it is a very thin, light and almost flimsy knife designed for weightless, bulkless carry. The handle is thin, the blade is thinner than the Griptilian and the liner is even smaller and shorter than that in the large Griptilian. Nice if you want a light EDC pocket carry, but I wouldn't want it as my go-to outdoor folding knife.

Good luck!

Chris

Last edited:

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
A thumbs up for the benchmades, I just got a grissly ridge . Great knife
I find the s30v easyier to sharpen on the benchmade than s30v on the spyderco

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The designs of these all look pretty similar so Is it all about the steel? Or do the locks come in to play?

The Persistance, Tenacious and Resilience are all value models that differ only in size. They all feature a liner lock.

The Paramilitaries are better built with a better steel and feature a very secure compression lock. The compression lock is hard to explain, but it’s situated on the top of the knife by the pivot. Google will me more help than me on the mechanism.

bigboned

Forager
Feb 17, 2016
Ireland
The Persistance, Tenacious and Resilience are all value models that differ only in size. They all feature a liner lock.

The Paramilitaries are better built with a better steel and feature a very secure compression lock. The compression lock is hard to explain, but it’s situated on the top of the knife by the pivot. Google will me more help than me on the mechanism.

I hate this bloody hobby! So I go look more at the para’s- oh yeah the para 3 is gorgeous and looks just like what I’m after......and of course the money goes up each time
Looks like a used one maybe the way to go- still a bit more than I was hoping for- it’s not my main user or anything
Such is life, thanks for all the input and suggestions, I’ve owned a mini grip previously, just I’ve never owned a spidy so please don’t think I was dismissing the suggestions, perhaps edc was the wrong term maybe every day tasks rather than carry would be more accurate- knife laws here suck the same as firearms, anything over 105ft/s needs a license so that can include air soft never mind airgun
Cheers

I wonder if the guy selling the para 3 needs a spare left bollock?!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nice65

bigboned

Forager
Feb 17, 2016
Ireland
Just an update, I figured easiest way to do some testing was to buy and go from there- I’ve taken up the para 3 offer on classifieds
Thanks all- now cpm S30V vs S110V ??

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Just an update, I figured easiest way to do some testing was to buy and go from there- I’ve taken up the para 3 offer on classifieds
Thanks all- now cpm S30V vs S110V ??

I’ve a feeling that Para 3 will impress you enough that your question will be answered and there’s no need to shop further. A very strong knife, secure lock which will feel a bit weird at first but quickly become second nature, 3.8mm steel, and full flat grind. I’m slightly envious of you.:censored:

Do grab a Tenacious if one comes your way.

bigboned

Forager
Feb 17, 2016
Ireland
Don’t be envious I’m now missing a bollock!!!!
Is the tenacious the value version of the para2 then?

It’s all your fault by the way!

Sep 11, 2014
Maidstone, KENT
Hitler only had one ball....

I've had a tenacious - similar proportions to the PM2, less refined, much cheaper.
8Cr13MoV stainless is easy to sharpen, but doesn't take, or hold, the same razor sharp edge as S30v.

The main reason I moved mine on though was the liner lock.
As with a frame lock, I don't like putting my thumb in the path of the closing blade
to disengage the lock. Others may have variable mileage...

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Is the tenacious the value version of the para2 then?

It’s all your fault by the way!

No, but the Tenacious has a very good all purpose blade shape. Good for food prep, slicing and spreading. Also cheap enough you won’t shed too many tears if you lose it.

No need to thank me for being an enabler. :). Let us know what you think of the Para 3 when you get it, I reckon Spyderco nailed it with this one.

bigboned

Forager
Feb 17, 2016
Ireland
Yea I’m all excited now! My life has become so sad lol..
Great comms off Ste by the way, even when I said I wasn’t buying he still gave me loads of info, it’s just a great community here isn’t it

I did some measurements against my other folders just to get an idea and I reckon it will be good to go, I decided against the thinner stock of the Delica for the purposes I’m after in the end although I’ve since done loads of reading and want them all now !

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have a Persistence, its a great little knife. and not a mahoosive wally factor nine thing but well made and cuts better than its small size suggests.
I removed the pocket clip thing as it just lived in my back pocket and I have no need for it.

Eventually I went even smaller than the Persistence with a Viper Drop liner lock knife.
Its tiny (seriously, if your thinking about buying one, check its size first) but cuts well and is all rounded and comfy like in my pocket, people don't get all angsty when I pull it out of my pocket.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It took me years to discover how good the Delica is. For some reason I was avoiding the pointy blade shape it shares with the Para and Police knives. But one came up on here in orange FRN at a great price and I just happened to have taken a load of biltong out of the drier. Need I say more? ;)

If I’m in a situation where I’m ok to carry a locker and don’t need much other than opening and slicing food, or even picking a splinter, the Delica excels. So, onto the Manix range....:D

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
The Spydercos covered here are all dead good. But, I am quite a fan of the Manly knives from Bulgaria. They have just released an edc slipjoint, a larger slipjoint, a two hand locker and and OHO locker (with a Spyderhole). The thing is they are in S90V and very affordable. Really top notch ergs and grinding. Very robust and handy.

I can tell you the slipjoints are magnificent things and buying them will place you in a good relationship to the world :) I am waiting for a twohand oepning backlock one to be delivered. I'll let you know how it shapes up, but I can't imagine it being anything other than magisterial. You get good fit and finish. Not jewellery level, but then again it isn't exactly jewellery. The precision is where its needed in the geometry and the grinds. Sound philosophy. Love 'em :)

One things to add is that they aren't very pointy, not in the splinter picking way Rich suggests about the Delica and other Spydercos. I think of them as vastly amped up sodbusters

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE