First spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Another one of these first spoon posts. Carved from Lime when green, and coated with groundnut oil. Dead chuffed :).

front.jpg

bk_close.jpg

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Thanks all. I'm just too scared to eat with it :eek:

It's wonky in places, but I agree with jem_seely when he says that's what gives it character.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Excellent, the ridge on the back gives it real character.
I'm in the middle of my first spoon, i still have to purchase a crook knife but i have the basic shape. Hopefully it will turn out like a chinese soup spoon with the extended bowl down the shaft.
Problem is that i had enough carving for one night and when i went back to it it had developed a nasty split on the end. Does anyone know how to prevent this in the futere?.
I havn't a clue what wood it is but it's incredibly hard now that its dry, almost too hard for my newly sharpened mora which is very sharp :confused:
Just had another play as i can't sleep. The wood is almost impossible to cut against the grain but go with the grain and there is a satisfying grating sound. At most all i can take off is shavings that leave a very thin waxy coating on the fresh revealed wood. The coating fades to matt after a few minutes.
The wood is also incredibly heavy and feels more like a mini club at the moment.

sorry for the hijack :eek: i was getting carried away...
youv'e instilled confidence in me to carry on with mine is all :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE