First spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
That spoon is beautiful, really good work.
I love seeing the different bits of gear that people craft, its all so much more personal than just buying an item.
I'm looking forward to the next BushMoot (end of may, near Reading) because everyone brings their gear and you get to see the different ways people make things and get good advice on problems you encounter while making things, whether its carving noggins, making cordage or knapping flint arrow heads.
The workshops are excellent too (Chris is demonstrating Bow Making, and his bows are very good).
If you want to pick up some new skills or master an old one, get to the next BushMoot.
Neil

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Daniel said:
That'd be very kind of you! I live in the south of Hampshire, near Portsmouth. If you can, let me know how I can pay you!!

That'll be just up the road from me, then... We'll have to get you along to the next meetup in the area! Good looking spoon, too!

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
toxopholist said:
Regarding the coating try Tung oil for cutlery that will be used for food...

I've tried to find Tung oil everywhere, but no luck. Does anyone know a good online shop that sells Tung oil??

Cheers,
Dan

hootchi

Settler
They sell tung oil on axminster and I've heard no bad stories about them and have used them once and had no problems.

I was going to say you could get a spoon knife aswell but I imagine you have one already. :cool: You could get a starkie sharp honing leather as it seems a shame to pay nearly as much on postage as the item.

cheers :cool:

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Cheers hootchi, I'll have a look. Good suggestion about a spoon knife though, I didn't have one and couldn't find any in shops near me, so ended up doing it with my knife. It took longer and was more difficult. I'll have to get one before I do my next spoon!

BIG_emu

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
Cheshire
thats better than my first try i made my first spoon on bronze d of e ( needles to say it broke) my more recent ones are fine and look much the same as the one you have posted

Mutley

Forager
May 6, 2005
Very nice spoon!

I wish I could carve like that, I can see a professional spoon maker out of you. ;)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Daniel said:
Hmmm!! Is that non-toxic (ok for using as a spoon rather than displaying it on the side)?

Mineral oil is non toxic athough if you drink a half a bottle of it, it might make you real sick. It's been used medicinally for eons, as a laxative. Totally safe for bowls and spoons. I use it all the time.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Fruit woods eg apple wood,crab apple, cherry, plum/damson are nice to carve and close grained, hawthorn,blackthorn,oak,hazel,hornbeam are good too and are all quite common, try to stay away from resinous woods like the pines and firs,cedar ect as you can usually still taste them after oiling and the the grain is courser you can obviously still carve them though but the first harder woods are better and make for a better eating utencil.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Hi again. Just received my Tung oil from axminster today, and it says on the side to first apply a few coats with it mixed with white spirit (about 50% of each), and then the last coat neat. It also says to leave it to dry for about 4 days in between coats...

Is this right? Does it really take that long to dry or has anyone got any tips or techniques they use when using tung oil??

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Yup it really does take that long... You would have been better off with one of the finishing oils or danish oil, these have a tung oil base but set off quicker - a couple of hours usually. I also have a tin of stuff called salad bowl finish - which is a cross between oil and varnish and is guarenteed food safe. But saying that all oils are food safe once they have set off - but as you have found it it can take a while for some of them :)

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
No need to rush buddy all good things come to those who wait, i usually rub the spoon with the oil briskly till it warms with the friction rub the oil in well then wipe off the access, leave then repeat the process 3/4 times more till water runs off. Its going to give you years of service so a couple of days in the making isnt much of a problem ;)

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Paganwolf said:
... i usually rub the spoon with the oil briskly till it warms with the friction rub the oil in well then wipe off the access, leave then repeat the process 3/4 times more till water runs off...

Hey! Just applied the first coat of oil, mixed half and half with white spirit like it said on the bottle... however now it just stinks of white spirit, and I can't imagine it tasting nice!

Do you mix yours with white spirit or just do 3/4 coats with undiluted tung oil?

Cheers,
Dan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE