First spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Hi,

I've just finished carving my first spoon, and although it's not as good looking as some other hand carved spoons I've seen, it was my first go so I'm pretty proud of it, and thought I'd show it off!!

Anyway, the reason I'm posting this is, at the moment the spoon is just bare wood, do I need to put some kind of laquer on it or anything?? If anyone knows that'd be great!!

Dan

Attachments

• 05.05 - Small Spoon 2 800x600.JPG
    05.05 - Small Spoon 2 800x600.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 328

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
if you want to use it as a spoon then no coating or a little veg oil

its gonna get plenty oil and stuff stirring soups where it is headed

course if you want to keep it in a presentation box then you can apply anything you like ;)

nice job by the way :)

Tant

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Nice one buddy!
use a fine sandpaper to smooth it then run it under warm water,this raises the grain,you will feel it roughen up.Let it dry and repeat the process until the grain no longer raises if you dont do this the first time you eat with it or stirr your tea the grain raises and makes it uncomfortable to eat with, this also depends on what wood you use to the amount of grain that raises,
then use a Tung oil (BQ,Homebase) to oil it its a non toxic natural blend of oils rub it in your spoon and wipe off the excess,
rapeat till water runs off your spoon,Job Jobbed ;) (you can use boiled linseed oil too must be boiled though)

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Thanks everyone!

To be honest I don't know what wood it is... I just picked up a bit of wood whilst I was walking and gave it a go.

Next thing to do: Buy a tree book! Anyone know a good one?

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Try "The Easy Tree Guide" by Kieth Rushford Dan, get started on the next one soon matey! ;) ive made 2 in the last 7days from crab apple, its a beautifull wood to carve.Try fruit woods its closed grained and lovely to carve, hawthorn and black thorn is lovely too, the spoon i use the most is Oak, i live in Thurrock ( Thors Oak) so i think its apt its also a lovely wood to carve, be carefull of picking up or lifting the grain though on the last carving stages though.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
I do like the look of apple. I don't think there is anywhere around here with fruit trees that may have lost a branch or two... Can you buy blocks of wood from anywhere? Thanks for the tip on the book, I'll give it a look!

W

whistler

I am impressed any tips for someone who hasnt carved one yet, if my first attempt looks this good I will be well satisfied.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Paganwolf said:
where are you in the south Dan i may be able to send you a bit of crab apple bud.

That'd be very kind of you! I live in the south of Hampshire, near Portsmouth. If you can, let me know how I can pay you!!

Thanks enourmously!

Dan

T

toxopholist

Hello. A very nice first spoon. Much better than my first effort. Have you considered Lime. It's recognised as an easy wood to carve with and is readily available from people like Axminster Tools. (www.axminster.co.uk). Regarding the coating try Tung oil for cutlery that will be used for food and Danish Oil for a decorative finish. The picture attached shows a Lime wood spoon coated with Danish Oil. Cheers.

Attachments

• Lime_Spoon-a.JPG
    Lime_Spoon-a.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 164

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE