FIRST spoon

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
So here we are.... Landy_Dom's first spoon:

made from freshly cut sycamore, split with a billhook, carved with a medium sized locking folder and the bowl gouged with the small blade of my SAK. finished with sandpaper, stained with walnut stain and a little flame singeing and coated with danish oil.

Christmas08082.jpg

100_0931.jpg

100_0932.jpg

100_0933.jpg

100_0935.jpg

Some thoughts:

I like the curvature to it, and the proportions of the neck.

I really didn't like the walnut stain - perhaps using green wood meant it didn't take very well? It did however massively highlight the flaws in the bowl (overcutting) - shame.

I REALLY want a spoon knife - the bowl is totally inadequate and the sidewall really thick. Not really a user.

The flame marking was quite nice but a bit too localised - probably need to do it over a fire and not with a lighter ( ! )

I gave it to my belle soeur (corsican sister-in-law) who was cooing over it :)

I think I might invest in a spoon knife and do a few more (my nephew has asked for one too!)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Not bad - for a Gog!:D
You obviously have the knack of self critisism - the points you raise are all well made - but you also seem to have got the bug and the realisation that hand carved spoons make great gifts.....:)
Try a trad Welsh "Love Spoon" - simply carve in a heart instead of the cross hatching or carve the end of the spoon into a heart shape - for that inimittable, romantic Welsh touch!
Every spoon is different and a unique challenge.

When I look back on my first attempts - I shudder!:eek:
But now I love to carve spoons, love eating with them and love giving them as gifts!
Keep up the good work (though I would leave each spoon its natural colour myself...

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
great first attempt on that - particularly with no spoon knife! I can add no more than you have said yourself.
If you are looking on buying a spoon knife, I'll add my experiences. I'm not a fan of the frost's spoon knives, I battled on with one for a while then bought one of Ben Orford's creations and never looked back. Sharpens better, less leverage problems, feels better in the hand....

Have fun with your wittling!

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
That's a great job you've done considering the tools! If you want to set yourself up cheaply get a Frosts 106 sloyd knife and a Frosts curved knife (the one just sharpened on one edge with quite a tight curve). They both cost around a tenner and will transform your spoon carving experience!
Nicola

dangerpie

Dec 5, 2008
Thame, Oxfordshire
I feel you have been very hard on yourself for a lovely spoon. I haven't tried my hand at any spoon making yet, if I create anything similar with my first attempt i'll be very pleased with myself :)

Have you given it a first meal yet?

Pete :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE