First spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DogRose

Forager
Apr 19, 2015
Isle of Wight
Hi everyone, I've been inspired by a number of you to try my hand at making a spoon. Here is the result, made from the limb of an Ash tree that fell in my local copse and had been lying on the ground for a while:
Firstspoon.jpg
Made using a Hultafors classic trekking axe, Mora clipper and a Mora 164 hook knife it was hard work at times as the wood was a bit knotty, roughly grained and part seasoned, but the lovely spalting made me persevere and the experience has taught me a lot.
The bowl is a little narrower than I had planned thanks to a knot which split part of one side off and there are a couple of knots in annoying places but I've ended up with a usable spoon that I'm very happy with.
Thanks for looking:)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Hey! Never, ever admit that you didn't plan it! I predict that you will be amazed at your recall when you carve #2, #3, #4. . . . . .
Just takes time to "learn the wood." You did very well, perserverance is a virtue.

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Congratulations! A very serviceable and attractive spoon! The knots give it character, although the wood grain alone is amazing. As far as it getting narrower...happens to everyone. Happy accident...

Time to start number two...

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
A very nice spoon and also a very nice piece of wood too!

Never worry to much about planning, its all part of the character and story. No two spoons will ever look the same (unless you want them to, then you need to plan it lol)

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Nice spoon! It has an elegant shape, and you haven't made the bowl too deep - a mistake that I made with my first several spoons.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE