First solo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Frenchy

Sep 4, 2016
Norway
Hi all
I did my first solo over nighter and thought I would share my experience and gear. I did go heavy on this trip as I was only covering 2-3 miles also I can see what I need and don't need for the future. I forgot my camera unfortunately, sorry.

I went for a Tickettothemoon xl hammock, bug net and dd 4x4 tarp setup as where I live there isn't a lot of flat ground. I have the snugpak special forces system which is an amazing piece of kit. I have used the sleeping bag down to its -20 rating before and was impressed. My back pack I am using is the bergen snugpak.

For tools I had a silky bigboy (which fits perfect in my fjällräven G1000 trousers front pocket), hultafors trekking axe classic, condor bushlore and my trusty leathermans. All performed really well.

For clothing I had a Stormberg DownAir jacket, a quick dry t-shirt, fjällräven G1000 with the stretch fabric, under armour shorts, thin wools socks and dolomite boots. For waterproofs I found this poncho/tarp and find it really useful.

Cooking I used a JetBoil and a cooking pot I picked up from a camping store, also 2 Nalgene bottles. I carry a sawyer mini with me just in case. I just took some noodles and oats nothing special.

I have a personalised health and tool maintenance kit which needs some adjusting as I go.

I still need to practice setting up quicker but that will come with time, I used Siberian knot and farrimond taut line (I think that's the names) and find they work really well. I am amazed I didn't get any ticks as there are plenty around. There wasn't a good supply of water but lucky I had 2 litres of water with me. I will be doing a day out to find a better spot next time but was happy with the experience.

Any opinions on the kit and setup would be useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pioneer72

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2016
Shropshire
Sounds like your kit and setup is pretty good to me :)
The more you use it, then you can review each thing you take and decide if you need it or not.
Some things might only go in the pack for longer trips or if making a basecamp for a few days.
I rarely take an axe if not having a fire, that saves quite a chunk of weight.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
I think Pioneer72 has made the vital comment Frenchy,.." The more you use it, then you can review each thing you take and decide if you need it or not."... I don't use a hammock and I'm not too familiar with any of your gear, except a poncho, which is my wet weather gear of choice, so I can't comment on your personal gear. There'll be many trips to the woods before you feel that just about 100% of what you take and how you set up is correct. I still occasionally make a little list and do a self debrief at the end of a trip..'Did I need that?' 'would it have been better if...etc:'
You can read Bushcraft books or watch YouTube until your eyes pop out, but trips to the woods is the best way to get good personal knowledge. So, first solo trip is done...start planning the next one..
respect-048.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE