First Signs of Autumn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I didn't know that, hmmm. The only Fall that I did know of were the biblical one (which the Pilgrims would have known of ) and Fawe from Middle English, meaning speckled, of various colours.

cheers,
Toddy

ooops, sorry got distracted watching two men chainsawing down a big cherry tree in the street, I was replying to Mike's Fall as the original name, post.
M

Contraction of "fall of the leaf" in middle english; from germanic roots IIRC.

Cherry is lovely wood, have you nipped out to stake a claim?:)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
If we have an early Autumn does that mean we're in for a long cold winter ?

Or just the usual endless wet and grey dragging on for weeks on end :(

It has started 6 weeks earlier than last year and 3 months earlier than the 4 before that.( I keep a record for my own reasons) Last winter had plenty of snow (early start) i have heard (not to say it is true) that we are going to have a hard winter with snow on the ground for around 3 months. IMO its going to be a cold one.

This was talked about in a thread a month or two back, Toddy will remember :)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Autumn was called Fall in England when the Pilgrim Fathers went to America. They have kept the original usage.

We started using Autumn when the French invaded us.:p

Autumn was called Harvest in England when the Pilgrim Fathers went to America. 1621 It was rarely called fall, unless spoken of in the full "Fall of the leafs"
Autumn and fall (as a noun) came into use when people started to move in to towns, from the late 1660s onwards (40 or more years after the Pilgrim Fathers left) :rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I do indeed :)

Haven't started squirrelling too badly yet though :eek: Though I do feel a kind of beginning urgency to be organised and redd up for the changing of the year.
Kitchen is full of drying herbs and fruits, jam and the like. Not even had the harvest festivals yet though :rolleyes:

The Cherry tree was down and shredded and gone in under half an hour :eek: I already have a stash of the timber seasoning in the back garden from my own trees, but was seriously tempted by the size of that one.

cheers,
Toddy

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Autumn was called Harvest in England when the Pilgrim Fathers went to America. 1621 It was rarely called fall, unless spoken of in the full "Fall of the leafs" Autumn and fall (as a noun) came into use when people started to move in to towns, from the late 1660s onwards (40 or more years after the Pilgrim Fathers left) :rolleyes:

Indeed. In the same way as "By our Lady" ended up as "bloody" in today speak.;)

Many words and phrases have been used to name the season after summer, "the back end" being one that I'm familiar with.

I'm sure that quite a few of the Pilgrims would have used "fall" as a name as they didn't have much of a harvest for a while in the new land.:)

EDIT: Not arguing BTW, just playing. Language is such a fascinating subject.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
there is a deffinate nip in the air round by me, i have noticed the leaves turning early this year. I love the Autumn/Fall/Autumnal Equinox, it's my favourite season. :D

Mang

Settler
I've just come back from Devon where a saw a Black headed gull with it's 'face' gone and it's 'earmuffs' on. Also, there seems to be a glut of blackberries where I live, plus the Hawthorns and Blackthorns are coming on well too.

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Chestnut leaves are drying up. I first sensed autumn 10th august and everyday since. Lovely feeling although dissapointing for it to come so soon.

I think I also herd a stag rutting against a tree or another stag yesterday. Time to spend more time in the woods!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not really. It's been such an early hot Summer, things came to flower fast, went over faster and are now fruiting abundantly.

I used to think Autumn was just the plants getting tired and needing a good long sleep.

I think we're in for a long Autumn this year, I'd like to think we'll get a really hard, cold Winter, but though that suits us it doesn't suit everything else that's struggling to live through it.

We'll see what we see :)

cheers,
Toddy

D

Deleted dude 7861

I'm off up to Knoydart/Skye for 4 weeks in September so if it's started earlier this year that will be awesome :D Nothing like the sound of deer calling at night echoing around the glens.....Also hope the damn midges have reduced in numbers too :rolleyes:

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Where has the summer gone? Feels like its hardly started - prob cos i have a desk job :(

Hopefull we'll have a nice September. Plenty of bushcrafty things planned for the forthcoming weeks

Blackberry whisky
Sloe Vodka
Hawthorn and crab apple fruit leather
Crayfishing
Hazelnut gathering
Burdock roasting

bring it on!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Not really. It's been such an early hot Summer, things came to flower fast, went over faster and are now fruiting abundantly.

I used to think Autumn was just the plants getting tired and needing a good long sleep.

I think we're in for a long Autumn this year, I'd like to think we'll get a really hard, cold Winter, but though that suits us it doesn't suit everything else that's struggling to live through it.

We'll see what we see :)

cheers,
Toddy

I'm going to suggest that winter will be here and hard by early November this year. I may be wrong but i have been following the trends and the sun cycles and this year the sun spots and solar activity are at the lowest since records began. IMO cold sun = longer colder winter. It's weird because it has been hot this summer, in contradiction to the sun cycles.

I think spring and autumn as seasons in their own right, may have been muscled out by early summers and winters. By that i mean there,s just not as much spring and autumn as there used to be.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE