First Sale

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Hi All,

Sold my first knife and sheath last week to a guy from another forum. It was a Stu Barker 01 Canadian Belt Knife blank with everything else done by me. Felt guilty taking money off the guy for it even though I probably only sold it for a little over cost (not including labour! :D)

The blade was one of Stu's belt finished ones here I wasn't terribly keen on the belt finish so ended up polishing it out which was a wee bit labour intensive! I had three of these guys so a couple have to go... Yew from a local tree and red liners finished with danish oil.

DSCF1746-1.jpg

Middle one here

DSCF2253-1.jpg

shinnneeeee

DSCF2173-1.jpg

Made the top sheath (4mm leather finished with mink oil) for it but it was too loose. The shape of the CBK is such that it just goes from point to butt without any humps to let the leather grip it and couldn't get a good overall friction fit as I'd made the sheath slightly too large. While the tan dye was on it's way, I made the bottom one, miles better, grips it really well but you can barely see the difference between them. Luckily I needed a sheath for my Mick Spain bushy so it wasn't wasted.

DSCF2601.jpg

Finished item, had to put a lanyard on it as I couldn't get it out without one :rolleyes:

DSCF2594.jpg

Back is not so good...

DSCF2597.jpg

Not sure I could ever get into the making to sell malarky, felt like I was losing something and I could never make a profit at it, I'm too slow! The guy seems really happy with it though, thinks it's the dog's.

Cheers,

Alan

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
i love that embossed stamp on the back! i see you had the same problem as me with the stitching holes on the back going a little awry lol although i will freely admit that i made a right pigs ear of the holes on the back of the sheath but i reasoned it was just for me and no one will see it when its on my belt lol
the handles look gorgeous, really deep colouring and grain showing through on the third knife and i'm sure you could use that knife as a survival mirror ;)

pwb

Congrats on your first sale.
Not surprised the guys chuffed so would I be .... goodjob
Love the Canadian belt knife style of knives.

Know what you mean about being hard to part with something you've made but I'm really slow at making stuff :rolleyes::D

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
yup keeping that awl vertical is too bloomin' hard! It helps if you don't move the sheath around as you're doing it but I forgot about that....

Cheers,

Alan

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
The guy seems really happy with it though, thinks it's the dog's.

I'll bet he does, that is fantastic work.The colouring of the sheath is beautiful. I have to admit the whole thing with the stitching on the back being out of line is something I get (must admit I don't really see what your talking about on this one) I was thinking about trying to use an awl point held in the drill chuck, so that I could use the drill press to try to get round it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE