First night in hammock

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Managed to arrange a midweek overnight at a freinds place to test the new hammock....first night off the ground.....wish me luck

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
Good luck, I love mine that much I was going to put two large eye bolts in the bedroom so I could sleep in it regularly.....Yeah....like the wife was going to have that...:-((

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 4

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
had a cracking overnighter, small fire, dinner cooked in the svea and a couple of beers. managed to get the hammock set up ok with my home made webbing straps, although the hang was a little high and higher at the head which meant that i slipped down a bit in the night.I had a comfy, dry and warm night (apart from the inevitable 1am wee) much more comfortable than I have ever been on the ground.

Hypnagog

Nov 12, 2012
Essex
hotchpotchblog.wordpress.com
had a cracking overnighter, small fire, dinner cooked in the svea and a couple of beers. managed to get the hammock set up ok with my home made webbing straps, although the hang was a little high and higher at the head which meant that i slipped down a bit in the night.I had a comfy, dry and warm night (apart from the inevitable 1am wee) much more comfortable than I have ever been on the ground.

Excellent, sounds like a good night.

I find that a "comfort bottle" is a good way to prevent having to get out of the hammock in the middle of the night.

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
I just did my first night in a hammock, too. Great. Things sagged a bit,but I'm more of a nester than a lay-out-straighter anyway. Must drink less before going to bed - three times! Must be my age.

Cheers,
Leif

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Hammocks are so much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground, But hammocks + woods+ wind is not always a good combination. I tend to pitch mine foot area just slightly above head area it works for me.

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Downloaded some pics from my phone,

first is the kit i took.
nz4s.jpg

The big green bundle in the centre is my Army sleeping bag inside my modified bivvy bag, above that is a wool blanket and next to it a CCF mat with reflective surface on one side which made up the sleep system - (i didnt actually use the blanket in the end). Tarp is Army basha, and the hammock is an amazonas moskito from amazon (£21!) with home made webbing straps and karabinas.

5z5c.jpg

all packed up in long back bergen, swedish army cook set is in one side pocket.

bw1m.jpg
[/IMG]all set up!

8x9w.jpg

fire lit and beer open - bliss

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Glad it went well for you.
Has anyone else found that you get up more in the night when in a hammock than when on the ground?

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
slept ok, not great as I was trying to get my lying position right, nice and warm with the maggot bag and ccf mat, VERY comfy for lying back and reading while the rain bounces off the basha. hoping to go again soon for another bite of the cherry

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Hammocks are so much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground, But hammocks + woods+ wind is not always a good combination. I tend to pitch mine foot area just slightly above head area it works for me.

hammocks + woods + wind + chilli is even worse. Getting out of a bag and a hammock for a dash to the loo can be risky, sometimes that chilli wind can take you by surprise! :hammock::burnout::yikes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE