First Leatherwork attempt

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Bit bored on Friday evening so thought I'd have a go at some leatherwork.

Toddy gave me a wee scrap of leather a while back and it'd been sitting around in my projects box for ages so I thought I'd try and make a wee sheath for the folder I normally carry when I'm out. Now one thing to note is that I don't have any leatherworking tools or dye or thread or wax or books or anything, this was all just using tools and stuff I had round the house.

For finishing it I used boot polish and some leather cream stuff that SWMBO has for the sofa, it's got neatsfoot oil in it so I thought it'd be OK. Was a good learning experience and has given me a wee taste for it so looks like lePrevo may be getting some money from me soon. Plenty of mistakes, check the back of it :yuck: I'll blog it up later but for now;

From this;

3205870543_3eae99e0ba.jpg

to this;

3206734256_8820c94282.jpg

and finally;

3205871535_79f40899e9.jpg

3205872007_a88aed5019.jpg

3206715006_97934273d5.jpg

As I said, the back is a mess but a bit of felt or something down would have protected it and I need to sort out my stiching too, 3mm gaps isn't enough. (oh for a stitch pricker tool thingy) any other criticisms more than welcome, I need all the help I can get!

Cheers,

Alan

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ihave seen an awful lot worse than that by folks with all the gear and some experience!

Erm - including some of the stuff I have done.......:D

Don't be put off Chainsaw, the stitiching into the groove on both sides is the hardest bit.
I started last year and still haven't mastered this, What I found to be a great help is to be a bit bolder with the groover. Make sure the leather is damp and make the groove fairly boldly with the adjustable groover.I used a stitching wheel but found the marks way too close for stitching so I still used the wheel but instead of making a hole every mark, I used ever second mark and instead of using an awl through 3 pieces of leather (murderingly difficult to do neatly), I used a small drill on my dremel. I also used artificial sinew as it hides any minor mistakes in the holes and neatens the whole thing up.

Good luck and keep at it!

WS

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Actually its pretty good considering you haven't got any leather working tools. When I started with the leather work, I improvised some tools:

This one to mark the stitching lines, it's just two bits of wood, a nail and 3 or 4 elastic hair band stolen from my daughter! You need to make the edge a fair curve, you can use sand paper for that, just stick some paper on a block of wood and sand the edge nice and square. Then you can marrk where the stich line is, if you start from the exact same point on both side, you can groove on both sides.
2009-01-18-1715-43.jpg

Then for marking the stitch holes I used one of these:

2009-01-18-1717-05.jpg

you can even sharpen the prongs a bit with a file.

By being careful you can mark the holes on both sides. I used to drill the holes about 1/2 way from both sides of the sheaths. I still use the drill but use a needle to "drill" the holes because it does not remove any leather, then use the awl to enlarge the holes. That way they close up nicely again.

An awl is pretty much necessary to joint both sides together and make the holes the right size for the needles to go through. Hopes that helps.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Don't be put off Chainsaw, the stitiching into the groove on both sides is the hardest bit.
I started last year and still haven't mastered this,

I may not bother with grooving the other side but I certain would like the stiching to be relatively straight. It looks OK form the front but the back is like my route home from the pub!! I did use a wee drill but obviously that wasn't totally vertical when doing the drilling.

What I found to be a great help is to be a bit bolder with the groover. Make sure the leather is damp and make the groove fairly boldly with the adjustable groover.

I don't have a groover, I used a pointy hobby file and my finger to guide it. :D Having the leather damp is a good point though, missed that.

I used a stitching wheel but found the marks way too close for stitching so I still used the wheel but instead of making a hole every mark, I used ever second mark and instead of using an awl through 3 pieces of leather (murderingly difficult to do neatly),

I used a steel rule and marked every 3mm, what a chore that was

I also used artificial sinew as it hides any minor mistakes in the holes and neatens the whole thing up.

again I only had something thickish thread that was lying about, not really thick enough but it did the job.

Then for marking the stitch holes I used one of these:

2009-01-18-1717-05.jpg

Now that's a stroke of genius, there was me sitting in the kitchen wondering how I could mark the holes evenly and consistently and the answer was in the drawer behind me doh! :(

Wet formed it as well and the folder sits in there very securely. One question I have is that after wetting it and letting it dry off naturally, it's quite stiff, how do you get it soft again, wiggle it, loads of leathercream??

Cheers,

Alan

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Wet formed it as well and the folder sits in there very securely. One question I have is that after wetting it and letting it dry off naturally, it's quite stiff, how do you get it soft again, wiggle it, loads of leathercream??

That should soften it but you will loose the nice 'click fit' that you get from wet forming;)

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
That should soften it but you will loose the nice 'click fit' that you get from wet forming;)

Ah, good point, another doh! from me! :( maybe not bother then! I take it if I didn't wet form it the softness would still be there and the friction from the whole length of leather would be enough to hold it. Is this how it works?

Cheers,

Alan

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Nice first one. I had exactly the same problem with wandering stitching holes on my first. I used a wee drill but found it hard to make it run true through thick leather. At least you got them straight on the front! Mine were nice on the back and slightly on the squonk on the front! Doh!

Good working sheath.
Cheers, Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE