First Land Group Buy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Having been using this site for a few months now, the only resource that seems to be in short supply is the very land on which to bushcraft. I'm sure people are aware that there are plenty of sites to buy British woodland, and I am not suggesting that this idea hasn't occured or cropped-up before.
I for one know that I cannot afford to buy woodland on my todd, and I know that people do buy it, and I know that when they do buy it, it is generally underused. But if I was able to buy a share in some woodland, which would give me 365 access I might be interested.
Of course there are obstacles:
Exactly how many shares would be needed to provide affordability yet keep a check on over subscription? (This would of course depend on the scale of the area)
Where exactly would the Land need to be situated (I was thinking of M4 area, but of course there could be regional buys, and shareholders of land in the scheme could use other sites on a reciprocal basis)
Legal ussage issues (what can you do on non-commercial land?)
Woodland management (I think members would consider this as a pleasure rather than a chore)

I'm just looking for feedback at the moment, to get peoples thoughts and fears.
And I'm not be the best person to organize this if it starts to happen (someone with relevant experience would obviously be better, and perhaps someone who is well known to everybody in the community). So this is just a feeler. Or just a way to explore possibilities and get people thinking.

I've seen some excellent woodland come up for sale, some with water, some with ancient trees, lots in beautifull settings, it would be nice to think that some of it could be realy enjoyed and cared for.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
This has indeed come up many times in the past, just do a few searches on woodland and you'll see. I think Eric even set up a specific web site to discuss / progress it...

ODG

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
outdoorgirl said:
This has indeed come up many times in the past, just do a few searches on woodland and you'll see. I think Eric even set up a specific web site to discuss / progress it...

ODG

Thanks outdoorgirl, I suspected as much, which is why I didn't put this thread in group buy. Do you think I should ask a mod to ditch the thread?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
drstrange said:
Do you think I should ask a mod to ditch the thread?

Nope, as it's something that comes up every once in a while it shows that there are a lot of people considering it.

No harm in talking is there.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

Forest

Jun 14, 2006
Bristol
www.woodlandsgroup.org.uk was recently set up with this kind of idea in mind.

So far, it's not got going under full steam, as it's not widely known about yet. It needs a few more 'potential buyers' before it can start to actually link people together with financial buying power.

Forest

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE