first knife

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Good work Paul.

Be aware that as it is with that secondary bevel is not suitable for woodwork but as a prep knife it will excel.

A flat or Scandinavian (scandi) grind is best wood carving.

pauldr

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2008
thurnscoe
superb job, very well done, how did you do the bevels and the heat treatment?
i made a fire let it die to the ashes put the knife in then fed air into it with hair dryer then dipped it in oil when it reached 800 dgrs then put it in oven for 2x 1hr

i havnt finished doing the blade yet but i used a belt sander to get it started then i will be using a waterstone and a very fine file

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
Good work Paul.

Be aware that as it is with that secondary bevel is not suitable for woodwork but as a prep knife it will excel.

I hear what you're saying but i sometimes find a secondary bevel quite useful for very fine detail cuts that don't bite too deep such as can be found on a sebenza or a swiss army knife

pauldr

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2008
thurnscoe
my god .. i had to heat treat the knife again ( didnt get it hot enough first time ) i have got bloody blister spots alover me but atleast the knife is done right this time

Lore

Forager
Dec 19, 2003
Co Meath, Ireland
Good work Paul.

Wood chisels are ground at 25 degrees then they are honed at 30 degrees. Some knives may not be suitable but I know that I have some with a secondary bevel and have no problem cutting wood.

andywinkk

Nov 12, 2007
wigan
www.garmentsdirectltd.co.uk
your right you can get good kit without spending money, and making your own is more atisfying, i have nearlly finneshed a knife made out of an old shefield steel file and cant wait to use it, i have also made my own tarps and hammoks also and they have never failed me yet, touch wood lol

pauldr

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2008
thurnscoe
i am using rowan wood for the handle of the bushcraft knife with black fibre liners , also i have blue,d the blade a nice gun metal colour it looks ace .. am realy looking forward to using it

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
Hi Paul,

Jan (the man who hardened my blade) has tought me that if you want to check if the knife is hot enough for hardening, just test it with an magnet. It is hot enough if the magnet doesn't stich anymore.

Just thought you'd like to know. I think I'll be trying hardening myself using the trusted weber next time. Should be easy to fix an air blower to the bottom of it.

Grtz,

Niels

pauldr

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2008
thurnscoe
thanks for the info

i made myself a little furnace out of a exhaust repair kit and some cans the other day it worked a treat i used the wifes hair dryer ( not best pleased ) to get it up to heat
the only thing is my arms are covered in tiny blisters from the hot ashes but it was worth it
.. next time i will be wearing a jumper and getting some proper gloves

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE