First Knife Blade handling help, Antler.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EarthToSimon

Forager
Feb 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place please move if not.

Got a roll of red deer antler from a guy on here that fits my hand perfectly, so I've decided to use it to make my handle my first knife. Trouble is it's got a curve in it.

7060803421_f85b677016_c.jpg

6914722904_961a77c2ab_c.jpg

Would I be able to bend the tang of the blade to match the curve and just insert it after soaking?
I don't really want to cut it down because of the natural guard on it.

Going for a Scandi ground blade that's a bit deeper than a companion. Haven't found one yet, any recommendations?
Are the Karesuando carbon blades any good? Like this one https://www.brisa.fi/portal/index.p...od=product_info&cPath=94_176&products_id=1452

Wanting to cap off the ends with walnut or a dark wood, would spacers be needed for this?

Might be jumping in at the deep end here.

Thanks for putting up with my mass of questions.
Simon

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
If you are happy with a curved handle go for it. The Karesuando blades are good you can buy them in kits too. you can buy those blades in teh UK too.
A piece of wood or buffalo horn either end will look good but you can use brass at the blade end.

I will post some more info when I am at home tomorrow

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
what you want to do should be fine, try asking a maker to do a blade with a soft tang that can be hammered into the shape you want...or the other way is to put the blade into a tin of some sort with just enough water to cover the blade, then heat the tang with a blow torch untill bright red, this will soften it up so you can shape it...

you wont need to use a liner before the wood or horn, but it all depends how you want it to look....

regards.

chris.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I would have a go with a kit with one those blades first and save that antler for your second project when you have learned some more.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE