First hammock trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
So I'm off to use my hammock for the first time this weekend. I've got all the gear but no idea at the moment, gotta start somewhere.
Anyone got any top tips?

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Adding a carabinner to the end ties of your hammock, that, along with a drip line will stop any rain working its way into your hammock. Google both terms and all will be clear. Maybe the binner can wait but do not, do not forget the drip lines.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Have a look on hammockforums.net for as many hammock related articles as you could shake a whoopie sling at. Lots of good advice on hammock suspension, tarps etc.

If this is your first trip and you haven't had a chance to try out setting up then I'd recommend having a few shots before you go. Worth practicing the basics such as getting the whole lot up and down again, getting in and out of the hammock safely (so you look like a pro and avoid sudden attacks of gravity).

Figure out how much space you need for your tarp/hammock set up so you can visually assess quickly whether it'll fit in your chosen spot. Pace it out of you have to...saves a lot of adjustment and re-adjustment at the other end.

Finally...make sure you answer nature's call before you retire for the evening. Middle of the night hammock dismounts in the dark are seldom graceful (although I leave it to other folks to suggest other options should you be too warm and comfy to move).

Apart from that, enjoy it...and welcome to a lifetime of tweaking, modding, DIY gear!

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
so you can visually assess quickly whether it'll fit in your chosen spot
A more than minor point! I tend to go out with my daughter so we look for a spot that can take two but we can spend 10 -15 mins discounting this area or that spot before finding a good hang out. You don't want to have got half way through set up to find there is nowhere for the guy lines to be pegged or such.

It's a bit different than pitching a tent when you have an area the size of a football pitch to play with. Have a play with the kit, 15 minutes, even at home, could make life so much easier.

Once you get in your hammock, settle under your tarp, you are going to think ......."Why did I not do this sooner? It just feels so right."

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Always look up for dead branches [or anything else] hanging in the trees, you don't want anything coming down on you...

edit//
oh and take some photos so you can post them to show us how much fun you've had :)

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
Thanks guys, real good info here, i hope others benefit from it as much as I will.

I'm going to a campsite as others are using tents but they say they have some trees for hammocks. If not.... One will do, I'll tie the other end to the van. (I'll keep hold of the keys if thats the case :) )

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
d77a4c8c2e850f2fa9e2587382203b12.jpg

Set it all but the tarp up in the garden yesterday in prep for tonight. Need a drip line but I'm very happy. I'll let you know how I get on :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE