first go at making a knife

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
hi people i have had a go at handling a knife, i bought the blank of fgyt, and bought some spalted maple blanks, i bought some purple liners to complement the wood, fgyt gave me some black one's with the blank but i changed me mind, and went with the purple, i have learnt a lot doing this, like don't but to big scales, as there is a lot more work involved getting the ergonomics to how you would like them, i has to take so much wood of to get the fit and finish that i wanted.
considering that this is me first crack at this, i think its turned out OK.
i also wanted to do some justice to fgyts blank, i just hope that i have achieved it.
i hope you like it.

002 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

003 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

004 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

008 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

007 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

006 by lucky_lee, on Flickr
all coments are welcome, the next thing is to give him some clothes.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
why there is an angry sighn at first go at making knife i din't no lol, and i have noticed that it seem's that the handle underneath does not look the same, but its the light, it is the same on both sides, i wish i could take better pictures it drives me nut's, wish you could see the grain in this wood, its outstanding.

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Very nice job and a lovely bit of timber, have you got enough left to make a matching firesteel
If that was my first attempt it would be a big row of smiley faces not an angry one :):):):):)

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
looks great mate :)
cheer's mate, i got the insperation from the spyderco bushcrafter, because i love the erganomics of that knife, when we go to the meet, you will have to have a feel (oooerrr) of the erganomics on this, for my hand, it fits perfect, i suppose thats what you get when you make on to suit you.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Looks flippin lovely Dude!

Also I have an roll of reindeer antler here if you still wanted to have a go at the neck carry thing for a fire steel, didn't know if you found some. but it's yours matey, if you want it shoot me a pm, and I shall post it on either Tuesday or the following Saturday, if not no probs.

Cracking wood too!

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Looks flippin lovely Dude!

Also I have an roll of reindeer antler here if you still wanted to have a go at the neck carry thing for a fire steel, didn't know if you found some. but it's yours matey, if you want it shoot me a pm, and I shall post it on either Tuesday or the following Saturday, if not no probs.

Cracking wood too!
i have sent you a pm mate, regarding the antler.
thanks for the comments guys.

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
Thats a lovely looking handle, i like the spalting.

the hollow pins look really nice too!

My fgyt is off to longstrider for a full service in a couple of weeks, cant wait to see what its like when it comes back.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE