First go at HT'ing a blade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gumbob

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2005
Ayrshire
I decided to have a go at HT'ing a blade. The blade is made of O1 and was HT'ed in a BBQ using an old hair dryer to bring the temp up. This seamed to work OK as I got it to cherry red in no time. It was then quenched in oil. I repeated the process and then tempered in an oven for one hour at 230 C.
I have left the rough finish on the blade and handled it with Bubinga wood.
I dont have a way of measuring the hardness of the blade but I can say its holding an edge really well. I sharpened it up to shaving sharp, cut, sliced and hacked through a 3 inch fence post and its still shaving the hairs from my arm So...I am happy with how it has worked out. The only thing I would change if I make another is to not leave the rough finish.
Oh. The grind is a very slight convex.
Heres a few pics and as always all comments are more than welcome...even bad ones

IMGP0904-copy.jpg

IMGP0906-copy.jpg

IMGP0907-copy.jpg

Cheers...Gumbob

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Gumbob,
Did you check the blade with a magnet before quenching or did you just go by the colour of the steel?

Looks great by the way.

Ogri the trog

Gumbob

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2005
Ayrshire
Ogri the trog said:
Gumbob,
Did you check the blade with a magnet before quenching or did you just go by the colour of the steel?

Looks great by the way.

Ogri the trog

Both :D I have a magnet stuck to the BBQ and checked it with that but the colour was easier to use than I expected it to be.

HTH....Gumbob

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Gumbob said:
..... all comments are more than welcome...even bad ones

It would take a brave man to leave a bad comment on work that good. You've cerainly got more guts than me, HT-ing the thing yourself. I have made myself a blade and it took way, way too long and too much effort to go risking it in a BBQ (Especially as a very kind Mod on this site with lots of practice at Ht-ing has promised to do it for me soon! ;) )

I have been inpired by the 5 Hour Forge thread though, so might soon build one of those myself and have a crack at Ht-ing some offcuts and the like with that before risking a finished blade.

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
Looks great Gumbob!

Well done - it must be great to take it through all the way from raw materials to the finished knife - I didn't have the bottle to HT the blade I made recently - couldn't face the prospect of ruining all that work!

best
matt

Gumbob

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2005
Ayrshire
Hoodoo said:
Looks like a winner to me! I really like the handle. Looks very comfy. :cool: :cool:

It feels very good in the hand Hoodoo. Its quite chunky but thats how I like them, and I made it as a user to suit my hands.

Can't wait till I get my hands on some more steel now :D

Gumbob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE