First fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 13, 2007
Dublin, Ireland
Hi,
I managed to light my first fire yesterday. I used a firesteel and cotton wool to get the flame and then kept it going by making some feather sticks out of bits of planking that I split. Next time I will have to try it with some proper wood from the ground or somewhere else :)

I lit it in a hobo stove that I made after looking at this thread:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20206

I will take a few pictures of it and the next fire that I make and post them here later.

I managed to boil some water and made some pine needle tea too.

I was really chuffed :)

Mike.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Excellent Griff.

Pull up a log around the camp fire. In fact looks like you could have lit it!

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
You are on a slippery slope!!!
Starts with the standard stuff, and then people get curious and move from firesteel to flint and steel. Then onto the bowdrill with maybe a bit of experimentation with Pot Perm and anti freeze along the way, before you know it you will be trying the handdrill and making up your own charcloth then you are really hooked there is no going back!

Aug 13, 2007
Dublin, Ireland
Thanks guys.
Yeah, the had drill looks interesting, I will have to research into it a bit first I think.

And sure if we ever get a summer with some sun over in these parts, I can try the magnifying glass again :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE