first fire steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
something different today, had a go making a fire steel from an off cut of o1. first time iv tried this as im not really set for forging... on my hands and knees with a small lump of rail track as an anvil on a very small stump and in the snow! but at least i made something! and it works!

quenched the striker face in water, no tempering

firesteel.JPG

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Am liking the design and don't think you'll ever wear it out, lots of meat in that one.
Some determined effort went into that by the sound of it, nice job.
Rob.

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
first time iv tried this as im not really set for forging... on my hands and knees with a small lump of rail track as an anvil on a very small stump and in the snow! but at least i made something! and it works!

That you were able to turn out such a nice piece with minimal kit speaks volumes. You turned a couple good curves, kept everything to reasonable thickness, have a great taper..... and no mule tracks.

Overall, that's not just a win, but shows you've got a talent for the Trade. Your perseverance and attention to detail speaks well for you and you'll do well if you keep that up! Good job.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Aaaagh man! Now you're just showing off :wink:
And making me a tad jealous that I don't have somewhere to try it out at the moment :biggrin::thumbsup:
Top job, Rob.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Not too shabby at all Mark. As constructive criticism, note the slight bulge where you've bent the handle over, it is unavoidable in my experience but can be hammered flat. This will force the handle back out again slightly but it can be curved back in relatively easily a second time without the bulge.

Looks like a decent set up you have there though. Far better than what I started out with.

All the best
Andy

Reactions: mark.177

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
That kind of consistency is mighty good.

As for not having kit.... that's hogwash. You've got the kit. You've got the drive. You've got the eye. Nothing's stopping you from doing the same level of work you see in the Sutton Hoo find. Or did you imagine those guys had million-dollar workshops? ;)

I'd recommend you not set your anvil stump on a pillow, though. Most blacksmiths will set their stumps directly on the ground. Not sure why you opted for a pillow base.... and then complain about how hard you're having to work. Seems to me you might have figured that part out right off. Maybe it's a British thing? It'd sure make for a good excuse to take a tea break! :)

Here's a good video to help show you the "way", doing without much stuff.

Every time I need a little kick in the butt, I watch that video and get my brain rewired a little.

As penance for the pillow base and complaining about kit, you are hereby sentenced to chasing two flint strikers with the design of your choice....

17201386_1861572417464891_8479316083181380072_n.jpg
28377974_2032488363706628_96707105571186343_n.jpg

And I mean proper chasing, not some hamfisted simple chisel strikes any retard could do. You'll be quizzed, don't think you won't!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE