First finished sheath (number 3 in total)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
S

sccadmin

Ok, so pictures of my third sheath but the first I've actually dyed and just about finished and the first I've put a fire stick loop in. I'm pretty happy although some of the stitching on the back isn't spot on. I've yet to figure out how to ensure the awl holes come through perfectly in the grove on the back, any suggestions welcome.

Full%20Profile.JPG

Close%20Full%20Profile.JPG

Top%20Half.JPG

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Nice job :)

Certainly no expert here but i mark both sides with a stitch wheel and awl both sides seperately. Then when you stitch it drags them into line. Leave plenty of leather the other side of the stitch so when its sewn you can trim the excess to make it look neat.

S

sccadmin

dwardo - thanks, hadn't thought of awling the sides separately, I'll give that a go

mcniac - thanks, I use a stitching pony and still manage not to get straight holes!

For what it's worth: I hand stitch all of my holsters; I use only a stitching gouge, overstitch wheel, and a diamond (shaped) stitching awl. OH, I do have to use a pair of smooth-jawed pliers to pull my needles through. The gouge will keep the line of stitching equidistant from your finished edge; the overstitch will keep the stitches equally spaced AND nicely finish your stitching. I generally use a six stitch per inch wheel. I do not use a stitching pony. A pic of one of my holsters. Mike

002a-2.jpg

S

sccadmin

For what it's worth: I hand stitch all of my holsters; I use only a stitching gouge, overstitch wheel, and a diamond (shaped) stitching awl. OH, I do have to use a pair of smooth-jawed pliers to pull my needles through. The gouge will keep the line of stitching equidistant from your finished edge; the overstitch will keep the stitches equally spaced AND nicely finish your stitching. I generally use a six stitch per inch wheel. I do not use a stitching pony. A pic of one of my holsters. Mike

Thanks for the tips, and great holster. Its pretty much the same as I do but I add the stitching pony in to hold the item while I hand stitch. I use all the same tools but when I'm punching the holes with the diamond awl I usually end up with a few that don't come out the other side perfectly in the groove on the back. I've got better over the course of three sheaths but even on stitch out looks bad. Maybe I just need more practice.

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
If you assemble first with leather glue you can then use the groover to mark the channel, mark with the stitch wheel and use a 1mm drill bit in a pillar drill to make the holes. I sit just the area to be stitched on a slim piece of wood to ensure that the area is level, this keeps the holes evenly spaced front and back...some people prefer to use a needle mounted in the pillar drill rather than a drill bit but I find with good quality waxed thread it fills the stitch holes just fine!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE