first ever leather knife sheath

S

sccadmin

I'm pretty happy with my first attempt although there are definitely loads of things I'll do differently next time. I won't even show the back! I think I'm addicted though, possible, zippo and leatherman pouches to follow.

Complete%20Sheath.jpg

Sheath%20Stitching%20Detail.jpg

I think I need to focus on burnishing the edges, and of course dying the whole project. I didn't have the dye and really wanted to get stuck into the stitching. Next time I think I'll try some sort of mahogany dye and adding a fire stick loop.

I'm also planning to wet form this around my Mora Craftsman.

Anyone thinking of trying their hand at leather work should give it a go, I have no skills when it comes to arts and crafts and I think this is passable.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
looks Good Richard - another addicted member to our circle then :lmao:

[STANDUP]'My name is Graham and I like to leatherwork'[SITDOWN]

S

sccadmin

Thanks g4ghb, just been looking through your photostream, some really good looking work there. When you add a fire stick loop to a sheath do you insert it instead of the welt and skive it down a bit to fit?

Cheers

Rich

S

sccadmin

Hi topknot, thanks but no first time, unless you count 'needle work' class when i was about 8 :D.

The back is atrocious though, wavy line all over the place. I've started the second sheath and tried to learn from the mistakes I made on the first, the main one being I didn't groove the stitching line in the back as well as the front first time round.

This the back of the first:

Sheath%20Back.jpg

!!!

I've nearly finished the second one, it looks better but I still haven't mastered the tip. The one in the picture has a flat bottom and the tip of my knife showed through before I filled and glued it. New one comes into an actual tip and looks better but I think I've made one too many holes for the thread, we'll see.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Thanks g4ghb, just been looking through your photostream, some really good looking work there. When you add a fire stick loop to a sheath do you insert it instead of the welt and skive it down a bit to fit?

Yup it fits where the welt goes - you can either do it as a separate item, skived down and inserted or if you fancy you can cutting it all from one piece and have the loop as part of the main body. It's more fiddly as you need to get the size for the loop just right.

As you have found you learn a little more every one you do I find. Practice makes perfect as they say....

S

sccadmin

Thanks brancho.

So, the back looks loads better but the tip still not up to scratch, two extra stitching holes where the welt wasn't wide enough to push the awl through. Next time I won't cut the welt into a point, keep it wide at the bottom. I kinda tried that to begin with but struggled when folding the leather.

Any tips welcome.

Sheath%20Full%20Shot.jpg

Sheath%20Back.jpg

Sheath%20Tip.jpg

Sheath%20Top%20Section.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE