first efforts

Rosco

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2008
west yorkshire
Hi Jonathan, the plane I used was a Clifton No7 that's finely tuned and a joy to use. I'm set up similarly to you by the sounds of it for site and bench work. I've got loads too many planes that I've accumulated over the years but don't have any moulders. If you like wooden planes I've got a sash fillister you can have that I was given and also an ece block plane I never use-don't know if they're any use or how for away you are, contact me if you're interested.
I'm just making a prototype of the kasa at the moment out of some soaking wet birch as it happens.I'm gonna leave the hawthorne blanks a few days and see how I feel about them- may try some Walnut or beech or something instead....
I may as well post my latest items that have just come out of the oil bath. These were made as "commissions" I received over the Christmas holidays:-
IMGP0001-3.jpg

IMGP0003-2.jpg

IMGP0005-3.jpg

The small one is Pearwood left with a tooled finish and is for my nephew.The middle one is also Pearwood and is for my mother . The ladle is for my sister in law who hosts a bonfire night party every year for about a hundred heads so it's a mushy pea ladle! I think the wood is Rowan and of all the timbers I've tried so far this looks the nicest after the linseed oil treatment- if you get offered any take it , it carves really nicely as well.
That's everything I've made up to now, so thanks for looking John

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Hi John,
Those spoons are looking great. I love the mushy pea spoon I hope the folk they are for appreciate how good they are and enjoy using them.

Sounds like a good idea to do a kasa out of birch to me. Hawthorn is a lovely wood but it is always full of stress so it will be moving all the time. Its not easy to get bits big enough to split in half and get a nice clean section. Before I knew anything about woods the first piece of woodwork I ever did was a small carving out of hawthorn it got chewed by the dog but I still like it.

Looking forward to seeing what you make next.

beare.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE