First Cep this year!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Big day for me today, Ceps are my very favorite foraged food and I always look forward to the first one; counts as the first day of Autumn for me..................

Anyone else had any yet?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Yep, some chap gave me and the wife one when we were out and about last Wednesday, I have also noticed that the Horse Chestnut leaves have started to turn. An early Autumn for us too.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Nice one mate! I'll definitely be getting some of those if I spot them after my great time with the oysters. I hope I find some :).

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
You won't be disappointed Cameron, I reckon they're the Queen of the fungi; I just fry them gently in butter and I can get a good few of them down my crop :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Cooked it there and then, with a few perfect little puffballs, a pair of duck eggs and of course a big slab of homecure :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Yeah, it's a weird thing, luck; the longer I spend scratting around the woodlands and watching for all the signs, in places I've been learning about for many years, the luckier I get!

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Best year ever up here for ceps, two or theee trips to the woods and I've picked and dryed about 10Kg, lost about the same to larvae though Grrrrrr.
It's also been a very good year here for Chantarrels, haven't seen a hedgehog yet though.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Aye the mushrooms are out early up here too, though no ceps that I've found yet. Cant find my mates recipe for this but it's pretty close and one of the best ways to eat them I think. Even better when a day or two old (if it lasts that long) and had sitting outside for supper by a fire.

ingredients

Crust
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 tablespoons (about) ice water

(Or use pre-made pastry for less faff)

Filling
1 cup water (or stock)
1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms (can use fresh too, though flavour is stronger if dried)
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
10 ounces crimini or button mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup minced shallots
2 tablespoons Cognac or brandy
2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs
2/3 cup grated Gruyère cheese
3/4 cup whipping cream
2 large egg yolks
1 large egg

preparation

For crust:
Blend flour and salt in processor. Cut in butter using on/off turns until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add enough water to blend dough. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic, chill 45 minutes.

Roll out dough on floured surface to 12-inch round. Transfer to 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom. Trim edges, leaving 1/2-inch overhang. Fold overhang in to form double-thick sides. Press tart edges to raise dough 1/8 inch above pan. Chill 30 minutes.

For filling:
Bring 1 cup water to boil in saucepan. Add porcini; remove from heat and let stand 30 minutes. Spoon porcini from liquid; reserve liquid. Coarsely chop porcini.

Melt butter in heavy large skillet over high heat. Add porcini and crimini mushrooms. Season with salt; sauté until deep golden, about 10 minutes. Add shallots; sauté 2 minutes. Add Cognac and reserved porcini liquid, leaving any sand behind in saucepan. Boil until almost all liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes. Mix in 1 tablespoon herbs. Cool.

Preheat oven to 375°F. Line crust with foil. Fill with dried beans; bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Maintain oven temperature.

Sprinkle 1/3 cup cheese in crust. Cover with mushrooms. Whisk cream, yolks, egg and 1 tablespoon herbs in bowl. Pour custard over mushrooms. Top with remaining cheese. Bake until filling is set and top is golden, about 30 minutes. Cool on rack 15 minutes.

Eat with gusto and a glass of wine/mug of tea.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE