First carp of the year.... :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hi All,

I went fishing last Thursday (only just got my laptop switched on!), and bagged a first common and mirror carp of the year. This was at the Frog Island fishery at the Tillingbourne Trout Farm, at Gomshall in Surrey. Here they are -

25629772267_b77b593334_z.jpg

38690164130_f80e132e57_z.jpg

It is my habit to include my boot in the pictures that I take of fish, so that I have some kind of reference later. These weren't the biggest fish I have caught, but they were very welcome as I haven't managed to catch any carp since the end of October. I think that they were both in the 3-4lb range, and made up a nice day's catch along with small roach and small perch, which seem to have become my winter 'usuals'.

Just got to wait for the weather to cheer up again, and hopefully for some other fisheries around me to be open!

Cheers, Bob

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
C226F31B-DD81-4862-BCBE-B192A7DB29E2.jpg

Not the only one who uses a boot :).

Congratulations on the first of the year. The first fish looks like a chub to me but could be its position in the net.

Last edited:

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hi SP, it is the position in the net. I don’t like to have fish out of the water very long at all, so I take any pics immediately. The fishery is a lake so I think it would be quite unusual for a chub to be in there.

That is a nice fish in your pic. Is it a large trout or a salmon? Game fishing is well out of my league :)

Reactions: SoldierPalmer
Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
Hi Bob its a large salmon from the end of the season last year unfortunately it was too large for my landing net so I had to beach her. My season starts on Saturday I can't wait to get back out.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
:) If the thread was in Other Chatter, then perhaps.....

SP, the start of your season, and the end the coarse season soon (mine). For the rivers, streams and Historic Royal Palaces waters that I fish in any case. That's why I'm hoping that my local fishery will reopen sooner than the date they have posted on their website.....many of the fisheries don't have a closed season.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE