first Bowie WIP

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kristophish

Native
Mar 17, 2012
nuneaton
thanks mate tried it and works really well.

the more i look at it though the more im thinking i should re do the pommel? using a thicker piece of brass to mirror the guard...
I forgot to say to lightly dampen the leather too it works even better. If you need some brass ive got loads of the stuff its about 1/2 x 1 1/2 good old stuff comes op like gold.

your only prop there is youll end up with a shorter handle

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
I forgot to say to lightly dampen the leather too it works even better. If you need some brass ive got loads of the stuff its about 1/2 x 1 1/2 good old stuff comes op like gold.

your only prop there is youll end up with a shorter handle

thanks again, the handle is a little too long anyways which is one of the reasons i wanted to re do it so no problems there. just got the pommel off and removed a couple sections of leather and putting a thread on the tang end

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Wow! that new pommel will really finish it all off.

You have made some of the best looking knives I've ever seen, and this one is just amazing. You put even some of the most seasoned makers to shame with not only your work, but the rate in which you have gone from a complete novice never having made a knife to making master pieces in less than a year? lol

Hats off to you.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
too kind guys, thanks. its finished now! apart from a sheath that is. took a while but then i had to re do the guard and pommel. i dont know how im going to make a leather sheath that'll do it justice though?...

samobaggins

On a new journey
Mar 26, 2014
Bicester
Looking at your work their I don't think the sheath will be to much bother for. Have you put the final edge on it yet?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
too kind guys, thanks. its finished now! apart from a sheath that is. took a while but then i had to re do the guard and pommel. i dont know how im going to make a leather sheath that'll do it justice though?...

Skin a unicorn? lol

What tools/machines are you using to shape the brass, I have some guards I need to make and could do with a few tips if you have any spare!

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
Skin a unicorn? lol

What tools/machines are you using to shape the brass, I have some guards I need to make and could do with a few tips if you have any spare!

just some small files, i drilled out as much as i could and filed out the rest, shaping was done on the linisher, then the dremal with a sanding drum the hand sanded.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE