First attempt at sadle stitch !

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Jeez ! where do you get steel tipped fingers with a grip like a set of pliers ? fair play to you guys, my fingers are killing me !

sadlestitch.jpg

Woodcutter2

Forager
Jul 31, 2011
Conyer, Kent
www.tpknives.com
Neat stitching Robbi, a pair of pliers gently rounded over to push them through without marking the leather (veg tan only has to be looked at with a hint of fustration to be permanently marked) but grip the needle 15mm back from the point so if the hole is tight and you push off line you wont snap umteen needles and stick the blunt shaft in the heel of your hand!!! smarts a tad:cool:

Then pull it out the other side, dont forget to move the needle a bit higher up the thread after 4inches or so of stitching so it does not wear thin at the eye of the needle and snap just when you dont want it to, last time it was back stiching to finish off for me with naff all left to get the needle back on to!!!

Yer finger tips will end up harder than a Spanish guitar finger pickers tips in no time though:D

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I use a 5tpi stitch marker, i used a 7tpi to start with, bad idea. :D

Yep pliers all the way, but i dont need to use them very often. mainly for the last 3 where you come back on yourself. :)

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Make the holes bigger with the awl (no need for a drill ) from both side too. I use needle grips and you can use a piece bike inner tube.

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
Really nice work Robbi - I had a first go myself earlier this week on a slip sheath for a blade I put a handle on...and it is nowhere neat as yours...

...and yes I used pliers :p and need a lot more practise :D

kawasemi

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
same here m8 and on the 5tpi....but as i use artificial sinew its still tough going....robbi your fingers will get real strong trust me and youll get callouses...seriously my thumb and forefinger are sorta numb all the time...i hate!!!!!!!!!! pickin up and putin down the pliers a squillion times so i just grip the needle, but yeah it hurts after 200 stitches...and youll def need pliers when back-stitching the last few holes...

as mark said to me....''man up!''....lol!!! hey mark...shall we give him the violin smiley?!! hahaha!

a

ps....thats a nice neat job youve done there m8...not bad at all!

1.5mm drill bit mate ;)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Violin smiley........hmmm, hes bordering on one :D

same here m8 and on the 5tpi....but as i use artificial sinew its still tough going....robbi your fingers will get real strong trust me and youll get callouses...seriously my thumb and forefinger are sorta numb all the time...i hate!!!!!!!!!! pickin up and putin down the pliers a squillion times so i just grip the needle, but yeah it hurts after 200 stitches...and youll def need pliers when back-stitching the last few holes...

as mark said to me....''man up!''....lol!!! hey mark...shall we give him the violin smiley?!! hahaha!

a

ps....thats a nice neat job youve done there m8...not bad at all!

leon-1

Nice work on both attempts. You get used to stitching after a period of time, when I originally started stitching I always used pliers, however now I only tend to use pliers if I am working on things with a thickness in excess of 10mm. It is worth buying good quality Zinc Oxide tape for taping your fingers though if you intend on doing a lot of stitching.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Nice job on the stitching :D ~ have a look at continuous back stitching ;) . What shape awl are you using? I'm guessing straight round, if it is then a straight diamond awl blade might make your life a bit easier ~ as will regular stropping :D .

Make the holes bigger with the awl (no need for a drill ) from both side too.

Same here :D . That and, if needed / suitable / if I have one, I'll use a thinner needle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE