First attempt at a carved wooden cup

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I wanted to carve a basic cup out of a single piece of wood. This was my first attempt at such a thing.

Part way through a crack began to form. Following advice I had on here I boiled the cup in salted water to stabilise the crack. I then filled the crack with araldite by "flossing" it into the crack with a piece of thread. It was then sanded smooth.

I gave it one last soaking in warm water to lift the grain and sanded again. After this I oiled it with roasted sesame oil, mostly because I liked the dark colour. It has however imparted a lot of flavour to the wood so unless that dies down this will have to be a gravy jug ;) That might actually work because it wound up with a wee notch in the rim that I couldn't carve out, so that could be the spout :lmao:

The wood had different densities throughout so it was quite challenging to carve it. I found that soft areas immediately next to hard areas had a tendency to wear thinner than I wanted simply because strokes aimed at the hard area would overrun.

The results are obviously not anything like symmetrical and I had hoped to be able to carve it thinner and with a more elegant shape. As it turns out the wood was for the most part very hard so I don't think that would be possible. However it is definitely a cup, it is water tight and the grain looks nice so I am happy (for a first attempt certainly!).

I had to carve it in stages over a 2 week period, as I found an afternoon's carving left me with extremely sore wrists. I wonder if this is something that will lessen the more I do it?

So it went from this:

DSCF6458.jpg

To this:

DSCF6468.jpg

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That is a lovely bit of work, especially for a first effort. Well done.

I like sesame oil, but as you say it does impart a strong flavour, and i've found it doesn't wear off quickly either.

Beautiful bit of wood you had there.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
That looks really good. I love the pattern. What wood was it. Must get a crook knife.

It was a piece of deadwood I found in the forest - beats me what it was. The only thing I can tell you is it was not coniferous and was not silver birch. That is the extent of my tree knowledge. The bark was a nice kind of purplely colour.

I know no toxic trees grow near here though, so anything is safe for carving.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE