first aid on a distressed dog?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
i am not an expert,what would you have done?

when this greyhound went past me i could see she was distressed.
didn't stop panting for over half an hour,head down,tail down.
got to the end of the path and kept looking left and right then flopped down in the shade.

i tried speaking softly and offered water [used a plastic bag in a rabbit hole].
but she wouldn't take it. stood up and was shaking all over so i got her to sit down and stroked her gentle till some one else came along and went to find the owner who was also in a panic apparently looking for her.

took my belt of and used as a lead [case she ran of] then just kept trying to reassure her.but it didn't work i have never seen a dog so much in distress.

i phoned the petsafe [i think]? no on the tag and it said no changed and rattled of a new one.
i had no chance of remembering it and ended with check the website?
what muppet is behind that scheme?

owners turned up and seemed clueless,i recommend getting the dog checked over.

JC3_5390.jpg

JC3_5380.jpg

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Wet blanket/cover over the overheated dog.

Dish of cold water near its mouth for when it wants it and for a cooler breath near the mouth.

Owners to be polite = dafties.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
poor pup, lost it's owner and panicked, water was the best bet when it'd calmed down then maybe some chocolate, that is good for shock in dogs and gets energy levels back up a bit.

hope it's OK

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
poor pup, lost it's owner and panicked, water was the best bet when it'd calmed down then maybe some chocolate, that is good for shock in dogs and gets energy levels back up a bit.

hope it's OK

last I heard chocolate was bad for dogs, raising their heart rate dangerously

Phil_R

Oct 19, 2010
Aberdeenshire
From the sounds of things you did everything about right. You contained the animal without hurting it or yourself and tried to alert the right people. My only comments would be for anyone to take great care when approaching a distressed animal as there is always the risk of injury. I guess you could have called the RSPCA. That might have dealt with your concern about the cause of the distress as they would have followed it up, but that would have required you to know the phone number I guess. All in all: well handled.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
only in LARGE amounts, i have seen first hand the recouperating qualities of a couple of squares of cadburys on dogs in shock ( i 'spose it's like a cup of sweet tea for us ? dunno, but i've seen it work )

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
From the sounds of things you did everything about right. You contained the animal without hurting it or yourself and tried to alert the right people. My only comments would be for anyone to take great care when approaching a distressed animal as there is always the risk of injury. I guess you could have called the RSPCA. That might have dealt with your concern about the cause of the distress as they would have followed it up, but that would have required you to know the phone number I guess. All in all: well handled.

good advice,i approached very slow and put my hand out so she could see it then stroked her.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Chocolate is a big nono!

doh that'll teach me not to read ALL of the thread Lab72 already mentioned chocolate being a no no!

only in LARGE amounts, i have seen first hand the recouperating qualities of a couple of squares of cadburys on dogs in shock ( i 'spose it's like a cup of sweet tea for us ? dunno, but i've seen it work )

not sure how much it actually takes.... pretty sure a trawl of the net will tell you. What I do know is that four legged friends metabolise theobromine slower than we do, and can consume enough chocolate to cause poisoning. especially the way my pooch eats lol,.

Last edited:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
again !....yes in LARGE quantaties !

sugar, coffee, alcohol, eggs, cheese, white bread etc etc etc etc etc are all bad for us in LARGE quantaties.

jeez, this isn't an argument guy's, i'm just stating that i have seen with my own eyes the recouperating power of a couple of squares of chocolate when a dog's in shock, it works and won't hurt it for goodness sake !

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
Greyhounds are very sensitive dogs. Some panic more than others.

I think you did everything you could have done until the dog was reunited with its owner.

Well done for caring about the poor pooch!

Cheers
Ness :)

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
Did well mate!! Greyhounds are often very wary of strangers so can be tricky, water and calm words were perfect as dog was obviously overheated and panicked. Chocolate, even in small quantities can be lethal to sight-hounds.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
wikipedi the font of all correct information....

Animals that metabolize theobromine more slowly, such as dogs, can succumb to theobromine poisoning from as little as 50 grams of chocolate for a smaller dog and 400 grams for an average-sized dog.

no idea how correct that is you know what wikipedi is like........ hope it helps ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE