first aid kits-what not to use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
We all know we should have up to date training and a good first aid kit but things change very fast. Anyway what bits of kit should we replace with something else?

for example I carry zink oxide tape to use on myself but wouldn't use it on someone else incase they might react to it. Also I carry the purple lytex free gloves

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Nemisis said:
If your first aid or CPR trained then a resusiade is essential nowadays.
Dave.
currently expired but I carry one anyway (hopefully if I ever need it I can lend it to someone who is qualified).
FWIW I'm a current member of St Johns but my FAW ran out and I can't sort out getting a new one till I know where I'll be next year

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Andy said:
currently expired but I carry one anyway (hopefully if I ever need it I can lend it to someone who is qualified).

Andy, why would you give it to someone who is "qualified" that is wasting valuable seconds...just whip it out and get on with it...The casualty is already dead anyway...

They are now saying not to bother to much with the rescue breaths, just start the compressions and keep going at a rate of about 100 per minute...A good way to get your timing is to repeat the "Nelly the elephant" rhyme over and over again...do it under your breath though or everyone will think you are mad...

LS

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
last time I used one of the little masks I put the thing on and before I got into it someone else took over
Martyn has posted the new resus method somewhere (BB I think) and it still involves the breaths but IIRC you start the compressions first while the current/old way you did 2breaths

anyway this isn't quite what I had in mind for the thread. I was wondering if there are newer guildines on using things which people might react badly too. of all teh first aid situations I think bushcraft might be one of the worse to have someone having a bad reaction to something.

PS does anyone on here have to carry epipens? If so what do you find is the best way of carrying them? (I don't need them but I know a lad who is meant to carry them)

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
the current protocol for FA.

For an Unresponsive Casulty.

Shout for Help.

Open Airway

Not breathing normally?

30 Chest Compressions

2 Rescue Breaths
30 Chest Compressions.

Continue until help arrives or you are physically unable to do so.
If there is another First aider switch every 2 mins.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
There is no legal requirement of what should be in a FA kit only recommendations. there should be no medications in a group kit. In your personal kit you can have whatever you need.

I would also avoid any sharps in a FAK, no scapels , needles etc. I bin the safety pins.

That said i carry a couple of pairs of Tuffcuts and a few sterile needles in my personal kit.

I recommend a length of gaffer tape.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Wayne said:
the current protocol for FA.

For an Unresponsive Casulty.

Shout for Help.

Open Airway

Not breathing normally?

30 Chest Compressions

2 Rescue Breaths
30 Chest Compressions.

Continue until help arrives or you are physically unable to do so.
If there is another First aider switch every 2 mins.
St Johns haven't adopted this yet AFAIK, I'm hoping it goes through before I do a FAW
what's the current ratio for children? Is that still 1:5 or has that changed as well

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Andy the current protocols came into effect from last November. St Johns has been a bit slow changing to the new ones.
Basic Peadiactric Life Support

Unresponsive?

Shout for Help

Open Airway

Not Breathing Normally?

5 rescue breaths

still unresponsive?
(no sign of circulation)

30:2 for 1 min

Go for help.

These protocols are for first aiders to add to the confusion there are different protocols for medical professionals.

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
One thing that I DO always carry, independant to all other First Aid kits (where this gear is duplicated) is a personal protection wallet.

This is with me all the time, and contains:

1 x Resus face shield with one way valve.

2 x pairs of Latex gloves.

2 x Anti-Microbial handwipes.

1 x Ziplock disposal bag.

I started to carry this gear separately, after doing some First Aid at a RTA in a busy town centre, whilst I was out shopping.

Once the Casualty was in an Ambulance and away, I found myself covered in blood up to my elbows, and not one of the :censored: Shop keepers (who had been standing around gawping) would let me use their wash room to clean up in!

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
bogflogger said:
2 x pairs of Latex gloves.
I'd suggest changing these for latex free gloves

I carry one with just about the same stuff in (though it's in the same pocket as the FAK in my pack which I cary everyday. Since I go into uni on my bike it's set up to deal with me getting knocked off

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Something else to change (if it's a Group use kit, not a personal one) is any tubes of 'Savlon' or other ointments.

These should be replaced with single use satchets/aerosols as obviously once opened, tubes of ointment are no longer Sterile and the contents also deteriorate rapidly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE