First aid kit Medication

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I carry a simple first aid kit in the waist pouch of my backpack. It's not much, just the basics you want RIGHT NOW when you want a first aid kit in a hurry. I've wanted to put some basic drugs in there since I created the kit, but as the pocket is mesh it gets wet when it rains. This is fine, the IDF dressing in there is water proof, I can swim across a river and not worry about it. But for drugs, they aren't durable enough. Today I had a tiny eureka moment when tidying up my desk.

One of the advantages of your own home yeast lab, is that you have small water tight pots knocking about. So, using a 30ml universal. I've managed to fit the basic drugs I want without having to dig through my pack. It contains:

- Loratodine - Anti Histamine for bites and stings
- Asprin - Cardiac emergencies
- Loperamide - digestive issues...
- Paracetamol - Pain killer

It doesn't contain much of each, just a couple of doses, but enough to see you through until you can access the bigger stocks inside the backpack. The whole thing weighs 16g.

pillpot01_sm.jpg

Because the Aspirin is there for cardiac issues, access to the contents has to be unrestricted, so I had to spend a few minutes with the scissors trimming off excess of blisters to make sure they will slip from the pot without any effort.

pillpot02_sm.jpg

I'm sure there are no doubt better ways of storing the meds, and I'm open to suggestions. But for now, will give this a go.

Julia

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Really simple (if you've got the container!), a great idea for storage! Would guard against humidity as well I believe

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi . I use the same design bottles as you. Urine sample bottles that I get from the hospital (un used!).
I do the same as you, trim the tablet packing to fit and pop them in!
Ive been using these for a few years now and had no problems.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
That's a good idea. I have a similar thing in the car FAK with OTC meds kept in a soda bottle blank. I'm looking for a smaller container as the blank is about 6" long and takes up a wee bit more room than I would like.

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
I did something similar with smaller tubes, but of course they are out of the packet and so you know what they are, mine are now white pills, which I think are aspirin. Like you idea much better!

I also found some on eBay for glycerine and potassium permangernate, to make 'kits'.

Unistat76

Dec 1, 2014
United States
I would like to offer up a suggestion: An anti-diarrheal. Not to put to fine a point on it, but the field is not where I want to be if an attack comes on.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I'm trying to post a reply but keep getting:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forum/editpost.php on this server.

Even when I try to edit this post and copy/paste what I'm trying to say...

Last edited:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Laporomide hydrochoride is far cheaper than Immodium (which is Laporimide hydro choride). I aways read the list of ingredients on everything nowadays: saves a fortune!

It is first on my list. A case of the runs is very difficult to deal with when tavelling. I treat it like insurance: if I have it I probably won't need it.

I like your tube idea. Ihave mine in a small plastic bag, but it keeps splitting. i going to try your suggestion.

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
That's a good idea. I have a similar thing in the car FAK with OTC meds kept in a soda bottle blank. I'm looking for a smaller container as the blank is about 6" long and takes up a wee bit more room than I would like.

Have you thought of something like these? Small enough to be of a handy size, easily opened with one hand, but also tough enough to take some knocks and bangs should you go A over T down a hill side or something. Also, as there are more than one, you can easily duplicate the kit. One in the car, one in the rucksack etc etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200ml-Plastic-Clip-Lock-Boxes-PACK-OF-6-SQUARE-Food-Storage-Containers-Tubs-/121390395889?pt=UK_Home_Cookware_Food_Storage&hash=item1c436e71f1

Kent Clark

Nov 23, 2014
Crewe
I have to travel abroad a lot in my day job and always carry a supply of medication. i normally have with me the following;

Codeine Phosphate (prescribed by GP)
Ibuprofen (others may prefer Aspirin or paracetamol)
Loperamide
Dulcolax or similar
Piriton or similar anti-histamine
Throat spray (I need my voice)
Plasters
Optrex or similar

I normally carry these in a small sealable plastic kitchen container. However, I do like the idea of a plastic bottle. I will certainly try it.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ibuprofen, aspirin, and paracetamol are three separate NSAIDS. Not three names for the same one.

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
MAB, I hate to contradict you, mate. But paracetamol is not an NSAID. Doctors will often advise the use of both Paracetamol and an NSAID) at the same time as they dont react against one another, as two of the same drugs types would. Have a look here http://www.patient.co.uk/health/anti-inflammatory-painkillers and scroll down to where it says about "Some general points about taking anti-inflammatory painkillers".
Unfortunately, "painkillers" are something of a subject I have had to learn quite a bit about over the last few decades.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
MAB, I hate to contradict you, mate. But paracetamol is not an NSAID.....

Depends on which list you look at TBH, it's classed an NSAID over here. But whether it is or isn't is irrelevant; the point is it's not another name for ibuprofen or aspirin. They're still three separate drugs.

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
Very much so MAB. And no mater what it's classified as, one thing is likely to never change. Paracetamol taste bleeding awful if a tablet of it hits your throat and taste buds when you try and swallow the things - YUK!!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've been thinking along these lines for a while so appreciate the link to the thread. The philosophy of having a small amount of each drug as opposed to trying to carry a large amount ( some being better than none... ) is sound. Replenishment isn't an issue.

So I'm wondering if anyone out there has a Vacuum packer sealer machine thingymyjig? That way the drugs could all be vacuum sealed into a tight little flat package of the popular required drugs ( as the OP post ) - Would happily pay for this service.

So , anyone out there fancy doing that? I don't have a machine but would if I did. Feel free to post here or PM me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE