First "adventure" in a couple of years.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leo0274

Apr 20, 2015
Brasil
Hey guys, it's been a long time since I've last posted anyting here. After fighting depression for maybe 3 years I've finally got myself excited about bushcraft, so I started making a lot of plan and took one of them out of my mind, and I climbed the Anhangava Hill (in Parana, Brazil, the name means House of the Devil in the native language).

As you can see in the pictures, I am out of shape, and my physical conditioning is really bad, in the way up I had to stop to breathe every 10 or 15 yards. There isn't much climbing, it's mostly just walking uphill, it's 3.5km (2.2 miles) long course and 450m (1500ft) altitude gain, and it took me 2 hours on the way up, and a little bit more than that on the way down, cause we took the wrong way in the top.

I managed to twist my ankle on te way down, nothing too bad, I could walk normally after a minute sitting down.

It's nice to be back, I hope to be posting more adventures here soon, I have a lot of nice things planned, I hope to go out and do them in this summer (it's summer here in Brazil). Here are some pictures, hope you enjoy.

tI30jmQ.jpg

6h96uhs.jpg

KwqPN37.jpg

K34U7gj.jpg

a4Dhhyk.jpg

rwn68iM.jpg

DwBhM9f.jpg

ZrOkr5s.jpg

Fun fact: legend says a witch lived in this mountain two or three hundred years ago, and here is one of the carvings on the rock, it's said to be made by the witch. Aparently there was actually a woman who lived there in a cave, she would plant and gather food up there and from time to time she would go down to sell sponge cake, and here is where the myth comes, the witch made a spell to make the biggest sponge cake ever seen, but something went wrong and it became a mountain, which takes the name of Sponge Cake Mountain. I believe there was similar legend amongst the native people that got mixed up with the story of the witch.
6hCh9Mr.jpg

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I'm glad you are getting over your depression. Getting out in nature will only help, and it certainly looks spectacular there.

Reactions: leo0274

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Totally agree with what those above said.
Great write up, great pictures, and great local story.
Glad to hear you're triumphing over the depression - a difficult and all-affecting thing to suffer. Keep getting out and keep beating it!
I look forward to reading more.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
A great achievement. You should be proud of doing this. Doesn't matter if you are a bit out of shape..... you did it. The next one will be easier. Well done !
I have severe asthma so walking uphill is a real struggle some days. Anytime I get halfway up a big Hill I feel I've achieved something :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE