First 2 knives.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
I'm a newbie here so i thought i'd get the ball rolling with a few pics of my first two knives. They are bothfully hand-made, heat-treated and tempered by myself using only hand tools.

Small bushcrafter, 5mm 01 toolsteel,stained mahogany scales,black liners,6mm brass pins and 12mm oversized brass lanyard tube. Sheath is 5mm veg-tanned leather.

DSC01216.jpg

DSC01217.jpg

DSC01055.jpg

Camp knife, 5mm 01 with a striped patina, home-made denim and t-shirt micarta scales, 6mm brass pins and 8mm brass lanyard tube.
5mm veg-tanned sheath.

DSC01192.jpg

DSC01198.jpg

I'm well pleased at how they turned out, so i've started working on another couple.

Dazcon.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice work mate! They're superior to my first attempt, mine are hidden away so nobody sees them! What are you planning on for your next project? They both look great but I really like the camp knife. Addictive hobby when you see the end results and aren't out of pocket...

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
Dazcon

Excellent work! Any chance you could post up images of the jig and a little how to make one?

Ash

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Dazcon

Excellent work! Any chance you could post up images of the jig and a little how to make one?

Ash

Here it is mate, not pretty but does the job. 2 boards to stiffen the base, the uprights are 2 pieces of threaded rod with a bar between to set the bevel angle, a length of 12mm steel rod with a plate attached( ali-oxide paper on the underside) but i can remove it and attach a file and a block under the blade to raise it up, thats about it.

DSC01219.jpg

Dazcon.

Taffy63

Forager
May 18, 2009
Vale of Glamorgan
These are really great knives, very impressive for your first ones! I'm attempting to finish a few first time knives myself by hand and I can appreciate the work involved, very well done. How did you do the patination bye the way?
Cheers
Nigel

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
How did you do the patination bye the way?
Cheers
Nigel

Done the patina with salad-cream. Just laid on rough stripes, left for an hour, washed it off then repeated the process 4 times on each side with the stripes overlapping the pattern left from the last.

Dazcon.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
What are you planning on for your next project? ...

I've got another small batch of knives on the go at the moment, you will see two of them in the photo of the jig. I also have a few pike lures on the go, i have been making fishing lures for a fair few years.

Dazcon.

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
Nice work,
I have joined over on British Blades also, and very impressed with the quality of knifes on show so naturally got a gas torch, some fire bricks and a few old files and just started on them the other night- watch this space :)
The grind/bevel was the thing I found the hardest to achieve on my practice piece but I may be borrrowing your jig plans for future use :D

Keep us posted with the next few, well done goodjob

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Excellent job !

How did you make the micarta ?

Thanks mate! The micarta was strips of denim and green t-shirt with epoxy resin brushed in between the layers then clamped between boards that were wrapped in cling film to stop it sticking. You've got to work fast before the resin starts to set, so have everything ready before mixing the epoxy.

Dazcon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE