Firewood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 4, 2011
england
Hi guys i am relatively new to bushcraft and have started to develop my fire making skills. cant beat just chilling outside bear in hand sitting next to a warm fire :rolleyes:

can anyone tell me where they get there firewood from?

Ive looked on the internet but it seems a little expensive so any help is great. can you just cut a tree down in the woods i dont think anyone will notice will they :confused:

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Not really, its a bit frowned upon, plus green wood isnt exactly great for burning. Now dead fall, thats a different matter. From what I know and have seen about, taking bits of dead fall here and there shouldnt cause an issue, you will have a right old collection in no time.

Obviously I'm not a barrister, so when it all goes wrong on my advise dont blame me :p

bearbait

Hi there JiMMY90 - welcome to BCUK: loads of good knowledge and good people here.

Which sort of bear do you have in hand? Or is it the bear's hand on you that's giving you the chill?

More seriously you could scavenge small wood from roadsides (in the countryside). Try your local timber yard or DIY centre for offcuts. Ask a local farmer/farmeress. Look in your local paper; you might find suppliers offering it by the trailer or pickup load. Checkout what your local authority chainsaw gangs are up to, clearing overhanging branches from roads etc. Give your local tree surgeons a call: property owners who call them in don't always want the wood. Ask a neighbour who has a wood-burning stove.

BTW you can't just cut down a tree in the woods. Well, you can - but you may find it will upset people.

nowhereman

Mar 9, 2011
In The Forest
Hi JiMMY90

Dont go cutting any trees down mate - there are precious few of 'em left! and as chambers mentioned, its not worth the effort as most of it wont burn wet very well at all... What you want is dead wood fallen suspended in branches above the ground, this is usually dry enough to be easily broken up without an edge, and will usually be dry enough to give a good burn...gather carefully as you will cop a hefty fine if you're caught taking anything thicker than your wrist, or longer than 3 feet...

V

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
Hi JiMMY90,

I'll second what everyone else has posted here, with the added warning that the majority of trees in council owned woodland (and many non-council) will be covered by Tree Preservation Orders (TPO) and any damage carries a hefty fine :(, aside from the woodland management issues. Dead wood is also important woodland habitat for invertebrates and the rest of the woodland food chain so don't take too much from any one area and it really is best to go for the stuff caught off the ground from both a firestarting and biodiversity point of view. (sorry if I sound preachy -it's what I teach for me job!) :)

On a positive note i'm a member of freecycle and there are frequently people wanting to get rid of wood from their gardens which might be another potential source. You can also post wanted ads there.

Enjoy your bushcrafting!

yerbache

Forager
Nov 30, 2010
Bridport
Hi Jimmy and welcome to the forums.

Just a couple of points here;

1) If you're just using doing firelighting practice, get someone who knows a thing or two to show you some pointers. When I started out many years ago I would get hugely frustrated (and still do) by seeing perfectly healthy trees cut down because people weren't aware that burning wood "green" generally doesn't work! (With a few exceptions you will pick up in time). Oliver Rackham (well-known woodland historian) once said that "Native English woodland burns like wet asbestos!" Likewise if you are careful and considerate most landowners won't mind too much if you're just using a bit of deadwood to have a small fire (just be sure to get permission if you can). People generally object (and make life more difficult for the rest of us) when folk make huge fires, cut down a bunch of trees leaving ugly stumps and half-scorched logs strewn around, and otherwise show no consideration or respect for the land or those using it.

2) Try and keep any fire you have small in size; as the addage goes: "White man makes big fire, keeps warm looking for wood. Red man makes small fire, keeps warm". Moreover anyone coming across you will be much more likely to see that you're not just making a big burning mess and be much more sympathetic.

3) If you're looking for wood to burn at home, yes, I'm afraid it's more expensive than it was depending on where you are, so keep a lookout for local suppliers (people often advertise at the side of a road on a hand-painted sign). A good thing to do is while you're out and about keep an eye out for any roadside clearance or tree work going on. Quite often people clearing "problem" trees will let you take some for a small cost or even for nothing if you ask them nicely.

Hope this helps

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
When I was young, many moons ago, I found a nice little spot in the woods and started making a regular fire there. Chopped a tree down here and there for firewood and all was fine.

15 years on, I wish i never did. Now i still visit the same spot and wish that tree or three were there and regret chopping them. They provided nice cover, prop for hammock and windfall wood.

If your not fussed about breaking the law, at least look after the place, as you may be visiting it for dacades to come, as forests are getting smaller in england.

To answer your original question I make my fires out of dead branches that have fallen to the ground. I would probably spend 30 minutes collecting these to last me the night and keep my fires wide, but low.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Uncle ray says it best. fires keep you warm in three ways. firstly gathering, secondly chopping/breaking, thirdly burning ;)

Apr 4, 2011
england
thanks guys for all your help it is much appreciated :) thanks a bunch

I dont think i have it in me to cut down a living tree they are far to precious in a weird sort of way, especially when you think they will out live me :)

as it goes i have come across 5 large dug up tree stumps i can axe my way through and enjoy being an arsonist once more :) i've even invested in my owe axe haha cant wait :p

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
LOOK UP!! There is a surprising amount of dead wood hanging in the trees. Also look in bramble patches, they "catch" falling branches and keep it handily off the ground ready to be collected.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE