Firesteels...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

There is so much talk about firesteels here, so please discuss: Which one is best??? :wink: :biggthump
The swedish versions Woodlore sells or Blastmatch or Strike force or a 4'th
?? :biggthump

BAHDog

Jan 7, 2004
Tucson, Arizona
I have used the Strike Force and have held the Blast Match. The big issue with firesteels is they are heavy and products like Strike force and Blast match make them even heavier. I much prefer the simple Swedish Firesteels. They always work and are just a stripped down version of everything else, a firesteel with a simple light weight plactic handle for good gripping and a super light weight stryker comes with it. It's all you really need.

Sparks2.jpg

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I carry a firesteel scout that is marketed here in America by Kershaw. Also, for knife sheaths w/pouches and mini kits, I carry the Boy Scouts of America Hotspark firestarter. It's small, but does a good job of sparking a fire to life.

firesteel002.jpg

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
If it's power output you want, I'd go for the BlastMatch every time ... the power of that thing is awesome! The other advantage of it is that you can use it one handed in the event of an emergency.

Also, they carry a lifetime warranty in case of breakage or wearing out!

However, that said, there's nothing wrong with the Swedish firesteel, but I'd always choose the larger Military model over the Scout every time.

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
I carry a firesteel scout that is marketed here in America by Kershaw. Also, for knife sheaths w/pouches and mini kits, I carry the Boy Scouts of America Hotspark firestarter. It's small, but does a good job of sparking a fire to life.

firesteel002.jpg

ooh its so annoying to find pictures of BSA Hotspark,guys,as ive been in a quest for one or few gor couple years but i just cant find anyone who sells thru paypal overseas,atleast without ripping me off with shipping costs of some over twenty dollars...

Can you give me a hand in this search ?

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
I´ve used the firesteels from firesteel.com a lot and returned to my Light my fire Firesteel because it dont get so uneven like the one from US.

The LMF Firesteel holds a good shape and throw sparks like nothing else.
The Sparks from the Firesteel.com ones are also brilliant.
There are a lot of imitated Firesteel on the market, so be sure you got a right one!

I would absolutly recommend the swedish LMF Firesteels - nothing else for me in future!

cheers
Mike

Mountain jack

Apr 9, 2010
England
I've used quite a few different types of firesteels over the years and like the swedish one's (swedish firesteel army) it does the job never had any issues with it any it's a good bit of kit.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Yup I go for the plain old swedish firesteel every time.. Does exactly what it says on the tin.... (or the blister pack in this case) :D

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've bought a vango one similar to the LMF ones. I had a better spark and found it slightly easier to light a gas stove than the LMF I had before I lost it. It is probably not the firesteel but the striker but I think it actually works better with a better spread of sparks.

Not sure it matters much if it was easier to start off with than other makes just so long as it works and pretty much ay of them will. Whatever works for you or you prefer. I must admit I like the Vango one (although I suspect it is made in the same factory as the LMF one just cheaper by some margin).

G

GearUpEurope.com

When your hands are freezing cold or soaking wet the LMF firesteels are easier to use because of the handles. Also you can attach the LMF firesteels to other gear with the lanyard cord.

If you don't need the lanyard cord or you really want to impress your mates, the blank rods and the back of a knife always get the most applause :D

In terms of sparks, the longer blank rods seem to throw larger sparks, in my opinion.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Can anyone recall the source of the firesteels that come in the case that turns into a handle? Someone reviewed them but can't find them now :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE