Firesteel Tinders

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
What tinders do you use with your firesteel?

I've had a firesteel for probably less than a year and I was wondering what sort of tinders you folk use? I carry some char-cloth & (poor) birch-bark with me in my sack, the first campfire I lit by firesteel I did with charcloth wrapped in birch-bark and it work superbly producing flames in just a minute. Then a second time about 5-6 weeks later using the exact same method on a trip to Dartmoor I couldnt light up at all :eek: My char-cloth didnt seem to burn as well, neither did the birch-bark :( I tried for like 20mins whilst my girlfriend waited patiently for tea, I gave up and used a lighter :rolleyes:

Firstly my char-cloth was made out of a old sock, im thinking it might have been a little loosely woven, im guessing some more tightly woven cotton might be better. And also does birch-bark loose its flamable attributes a little if kept in a sealed tub for a few months? Thanks for your help and advise on firesteel tinders.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Nightwalker said:
does birch-bark loose its flamable attributes a little if kept in a sealed tub for a few months?

I've never noticed this before and I often store my birch bark in an air tight container, as well as a rubberised tobacco pouch.

Other options could be: Vaseline soaked cotton wool, bamboo shavings or maya dust to name just a few.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Try gathering the fine papery birch bark, crumble it up and keep it in a ziplock. As for charcloth, try different cloths, once you find the good stuff, stick with it. Try old tea towels or dishcloths. Also, once the fluffy seed heads come out, grab some of them and try them, thistle is pretty spectacular stuff, rosebay willowherb works too but you need to get loads of the fluffy stuff and it doesn't burst out quite as thickly as thistle.

If you are using a sheet of birch bark, you need to scrape it up to get fine shavings, I find it a bit too laborious and boring, so tend to go with the papery stuff, but there is no harm in learning to do it that way.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
Thanks for some great suggestions guys, just to let you know I've been using very thing papery birch-bark. I think my char-cloth may have been the issue the second time round.

I would prefer to use a natural tinder as oppose synthetic materials, I suppose thats because would like to keep some things traditional and use materials our ancestors might have, but they didnt have a firesteel :eek: oh well I've got a traditional steel to master after I've done the firesteel however I am in need for some decent flint :(

Northsky

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2007
Sowerby Bridge
birch bark, have also tried bullrush seed heads but haven't had a great deal of success, mind the conditions were pretty damp so could be worth another try.

What really works I've found is cotton wool especially if you rub in plenty of vaseline :eek:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Try cramp balls, little black balls that grow on birch and ash, sometimes called king alfreds cakes, latin name is Daldinia concentrica (had to look up the spelling on that one!). They have concentric circles inside, as the latin name suggests, and they burn like charcoal. You can cook on them like charcoal infact, and they are a great tinder.

Birch polypore can be dried out in tin strips and used like a slow fuse. Once slightly charred, they will take a spark. Also, old fire dogs, or the remnants of a fire, will take a spark. As long as they are dry and it hasn't rained a lot since they were abandoned, take a few of the logs that have been burnt on the ends, and cast some sparks on to them. They will glow just like an ember, and if you blow on it it will grow. Place another fire dog next to it and this will also catch, and pretty soon your fire will be going. Also, you will eventually burn up the eyesore, and hopefully dispose of the fire as the last person should have, leaving no sign of its existence.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Nightwalker said:
I've got a traditional steel to master after I've done the firesteel however I am in need for some decent flint :(

If you're going down the traditional route with flint and steel, it's worth making the very best charcloth you can. You can't beat linen in my opinion. It catches a spark best of all the materials I've tried, and it's traditional. Look for old tea towels in charity shops. If they have 'Irish linen' printed somewhere along the bottom edge you're on to a winner.

Eric

Andy J

Forager
Oct 28, 2006
north wales
Just followed the link posted by Ogri, fantastic! In the five minutes to read, have saved myself hours of heartache> That makes it sooooo much easier, and I've scattered my fair share of tinder after making my knuckles bleed for the 1000th time.... :rolleyes: and then no fire! Many thanks, Andy... :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Andy J said:
Just followed the link ..... have saved myself hours of heartache> That makes it sooooo much easier, Many thanks, Andy... :)
No Worries Andy,
Now that you've learnt the technique, do me a favour, go and teach someone else!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
Eric_Methven said:
If you're going down the traditional route with flint and steel, it's worth making the very best charcloth you can. You can't beat linen in my opinion. It catches a spark best of all the materials I've tried, and it's traditional. Look for old tea towels in charity shops. If they have 'Irish linen' printed somewhere along the bottom edge you're on to a winner.

Eric
Im definatly gona work on improving my charcloth with different materials.

scottishwolf said:
Take a pencil sharpener with you and find any old'dry pencil width stick. Works a treat :)
Nice trick!

I'll get round to reading those other linked-threads today. Thanks all.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I've said it before but I'll say it again, if you can get hold of a hand full of reed mace seed (fluffy head on bullrush) then that goes up first strike so makes a fantastic pre-tinder. It does however burn as fast as it does ignite easily so use more than you think you'll need and be quick with your tinder on there. Even when the head is damp with dew or rain, because it grows so tightly packed it's bone dry on the inside. Once it's collected and pulled apart it needs protecting from moisture so if you gather some to carry then keep it wrapped up beneath the outer layers of your clothing.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I reckon there's a lot to be said for mixing a "fluff" tinder like thistledown or reedmace in with shredded birch bark. The fluff catches easily and quickly, but doesn't burn well on it's own. The bark burns well, but doesn't catch quite so easily. Mix the two together and you're sorted.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
gregorach said:
I reckon there's a lot to be said for mixing a "fluff" tinder like thistledown or reedmace in with shredded birch bark. The fluff catches easily and quickly, but doesn't burn well on it's own. The bark burns well, but doesn't catch quite so easily. Mix the two together and you're sorted.

Aiye, even better Dunc, mix them! Pretty bombproof way to get your tinder burning.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE