Firesteel technique

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Thanks gents, I made the video to illustrate it, but the original technique was described by Bear Stone, many moons ago. It's a good one to have in yer box of tricks, you can light dry leaves and such with almost no preparation. If you try it and struggle to "bite through" the paper with the spine of yopur knife, try doing it with a hacksaw blade - works really well, though a bit harsh on yer firesteel.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Nightwalker said:
Thanks for the tip! Just got my first firesteel a couple of days ago, and used this technique to get my first flame! :)

If you want to try something really flash, take a candle, a tealight or something and light it with a match or lighter, let it burn for a minute or so and then blow it out. Let it go cold and then try and light it with your firesteel.

The secret is to keep the striker about half an inch from the candle wick and drag the firesteel back towards yourself, focussing as much of the spark as possible, as close as possible onto the candle wick.

It takes me usually anything upto 20 strikes to light the candle, it's a waste of energy really, but it's good to know you can do it and the practice hones your motor skills.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have been trying the technique in the video but i cant seem to get it to light, i am using the striker instead of the knife could this have something to do wit it i dought it will but you nevver know
leon

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
So far I've only used a peice of paper for this method. I tried it with both my striker and the back of my knife, each one took me about 3-4 strikes before I had a flame. My firesteel is a little small in length and is brand-new, I've still got scrap all the black coating off yet, so I can imagine how this can be done with 1 or 2 stikes :) Good technique, cant wait to try with leaves and other stuffs.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
leon-b said:
i have been trying the technique in the video but i cant seem to get it to light, i am using the striker instead of the knife could this have something to do wit it i dought it will but you nevver know
leon

Possibly leon, the striker that comes with them is pretty flimsy. It works well enough for lighting a fine tinder bundle or cotton wool etc, but for this technique you really need to get a good deep bite into the firesteel. The knife I'm using in the video is a modified sebenza that has had the spine ground square and is simply superb - the best striker I own. If you dont have a knife with a really good, square spine, try using the cutting edge of a broken hacksaw blade - it'll knock seven bells out of your firesteel though. Remember though, this is really just an alternative technique to have in your bag of tricks. For lighting fires, making a good tinder bundle and showering it with sparks is still the method of choice. This "wrap" method, shortcuts to a flame, but you'll have difficulty starting a fire unless you've prepared your kindling properly - a good tinder bundle will help your kindling start.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE