Firesteel recommendation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 23, 2022
Inverness
Hello, I broke my "Light my Fire" fire steel today - it was worn pretty thin!
Any recommendations for something that works well and hopefully not too expensive! Thanks.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Firesteels fall into two types. The first, original Auermetal from Austria are harder. The rest are
Mostly Chinese made and far softer
Metallurgy is far different. Auers are very pure in formulation. Chinese are full of impurities and indifferent QC.
Both will spark and it distills to your familiarity with the characteristics.
I’m in California. My source is a little to far from you. But this is the basic criteria to be aware of

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The ones sold by Woodlore are quite a bit harder than the Light my Fire ones. I would recommend them as a viable alternative which won't break the bank. The attached striker is pretty useless though!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
My best firesteel is a 'Light my Fire' one - when it wears out I'll buy the same. It doesn't just spark, it produces a fireworks display. I have others but they are much harder (I disagree with the above, I find the cheap ones are too hard and much more difficult to get a decent spark from). I'm sure there are other high quality ones out there though.

I have made my own using packs of rods and adding turned handles and, once you've got the top coat off, they work and will light a fire, but nowhere near as easily as the 'Light my Fire' ones.

Just my experience.

Reactions: MikeeMiracle

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Yep, a second vote for LMF ferro rods. They just work.

The next best thing is a Strikefire rod. I think they're pretty much comparable to LMF, with the advantage of being made in the UK.
Mine came with the Strikefire striker too, which is the best I've used. (Black plastic handle, short v square-edged metal bar, NOT those silly strips of tin foil, or worse the black bottle openers).

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022
Inverness
Thanks very much for the advice. I'll just get one of the above or another of what I had. I just assumed a ferro rod was a ferro rod! Thanks again.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Fire steel, metal match, zerk( Canadian name)have so many sources it’s fireworks making
Any definite statement. They are being supersized in our grand American tradition and in hexagons or square.
Sellers have created some silly myths. “ Thousands of fires” in reality is a whole lot of strikes and a fire anywhere from one to a frustrated dozen plus ( use the lighter already!) each need
and it won’t be long it requires redressing to function well. Fail to care for it, and its biblical moths and rust.
They’re fun, a true survival item stored properly. What they shouldn’t be, is a cult fashion statement.
Again, bring a lighter and some lifeboats.

Reactions: Ystranc

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have to admit that I've always managed to get an ember from my fire piston. Trouble is said ember is usually pretty small, due to the size of the piston, and it therefore has to be treated carefully! But it does work... really, it does!

Roger

Forager
Sep 7, 2004
Sussex
I have had plenty of success with fire pistons over the years, however they seem to function better in hotter drier climates such as mid west USA, deserts and indoors at home with the heating on. I had a perspex one made to prove the theory in perfect conditions and our none too scientific conclusion was that the small amount of air in the small combustion chamber was too humid in our damp UK climate to give a high success rate. Our perspex one if left showed condensation inside if left to stand when used in an outdoors situation where you might want to use it. However very reliable in perfect conditions.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I might be getting mixed up here, but I think the softer ferrorods are suited to being scraped fast down their entire lengths whereas the harder ones, like the LMF, are better suited to having sparks generated from slower but hard pressure just at the end of the rod?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I might be getting mixed up here, but I think the softer ferrorods are suited to being scraped fast down their entire lengths whereas the harder ones, like the LMF, are better suited to having sparks generated from slower but hard pressure just at the end of the rod?

Well, all I can say is that my LMF rod is the softest I own and produces the most sparks - I wipe the striker from base to tip and get a true shower of sparks. The rod itself is now scored and grooved but still has many hundreds (if not thousands) of strikes left in it. It may be that even LMF have different rod products and properties of course.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE