Firesteel issues

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I bought a couple of steel rods off ebay with the intent to make my own fire steel (i.e. stick a handle on it).

I've tried getting a spark off it using my carbon steel Mora clipper, but I've only managed to get 1 spark off it from a few dozen attempts.

Switching to a stainless steel knife from the kitchen, I can get a few sparks, but not many.

Is this an issue with the firesteel? or the knife? Is there a way to improve the performance if it is the knife that is to blame?

Thanks

J

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Hello mate.
Scrape off the black cover on the firesteel. Make sure the spine off your knife has a square edge, it's the knife most off the time. Hope this helps.
Ammo.

Smokin

Sep 6, 2011
England
I don't think Mora Clippers have a 90 degree edge, do they? If I'm right, flatten the back off the knife out with a file and then it should produce sparks perfectly well.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have only ever used the scraper that comes with the fire steel and it works bloody well... Yes you can use a knife to do it, but then you can also use your knife to do many inappropriate things.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Have a look at this video from Paul Kirtley about using a ferocium rod.

[video=youtube;D5R0uFHcfQw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5R0uFHcfQw[/video]

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Mora companion clipper knives do not have a flat edge on the spine for use with the firesteel. Last year I modded my knife to do this and it produces a great amount of sparks. Use an oil stone to flatten down the spine.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Mora companion clipper knives do not have a flat edge on the spine for use with the firesteel. Last year I modded my knife to do this and it produces a great amount of sparks. Use an oil stone to flatten down the spine.

Or alternatively just use the tip of the knife where the bevel meets the spine.

You'll find it's a sharp edge more than adequate for using on a firesteel :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria

Diamond files also work great too :).

Paul W

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 5, 2005
SE London
I don't think kind of steel is the issue with a ferro rod, pretty much any hard material will spark it, I often use a piece of flint on mine.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have only ever used the scraper that comes with the fire steel and it works bloody well... Yes you can use a knife to do it, but then you can also use your knife to do many inappropriate things.

I found the scrapers that come with most rods pretty problematic. Bits of hacksaw or pressed out tin plate things, that bend or lacerate your hands etc. The only exceptions being the rounded end, flat blade versions, supplied with the "Fire Flash" ( or whatever its called)

However, I also decided that I wanted something that was a bit more of a handful and a bit more utilitarian, so made my own:
[video=youtube;bc2wQ9ryts0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc2wQ9ryts0[/video]

You can use the above tool in exactly the same way as demonstrated in the "paul kirtley" video if you wish to do so but frankly, I can't really see the point, it just wears away the end of your rod, which will eventually snap off:confused:

I also couldn't agree more, with the comment about knives being inappropriate for the task!

Play safe out there:cool:

Best wishes

Steve

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I don't think kind of steel is the issue with a ferro rod, pretty much any hard material will spark it, I often use a piece of flint on mine.

Yep, a sharp edged flint worked well for me. If you don't have much success after trying the various suggestions i gather not all firesteel/ferro rods are equal - some are much easier to produce sparks from than others but they don't last as long IIRC.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Thank you everyone for your help.

Giving up on the mora and switching to a different blade, I now get a shower of sparks every time.

Thanks!

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE