Firebox...a warp too far?

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I know I had started to mention this in another post. But I thought it better just to start a new one as I would value some feedback. But upon looking at the photos you might think I am being a bit foolish ('tis usually borderline with me!)

Some time ago I bought a firebox. It has had good reviews and I have no doubt that it is a fine firebox. After I first used it it warped. I know that most metal warps )outside heating up slower than inside 'n all that) so was not particularly surprised - and indeed expected some warping - most of which would dissappear once cooled. But I am wondering what is an acceptable level of warping (seeing as the Woodland Edge stove does not warp and it is made out of the same thickness of Stainless Steel)?

I have found that the warping has made it very difficult to dissemmble and assemble as it warps/tensions against the securing bolts. In fact I have actually cut myself on it getting it assembled in the past. Sometimes upon heating it warps out so far that the little rods used to put pans on drop off the edges and into the fire. Bending it back into place is not really an option, even swapping/reversing the sides (ie turning inside out, left to right) only makes it warp the other way.

Can someone tell me if this has anything to do with the quality of the steel or its treatment / temper. Can I fix it? Or is this just a fact of life and down to the basic design? Am I just being unrealistic and silly?

IMGP0751.jpg

IMGP0741.jpg

IMGP0739.jpg

IMGP0737.jpg

IMGP0753.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE