Firebows, spindles hearths and bearing blocks.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Thanks to the generosity of Harvestman I have now got a nice chunk of hornbeam as my firebows bearing block. Just thought I'd share my set up and a natural "trick" to make the bearing block run more smoothly (if you aren't cheating with a scooter wheel).

Once I'd got a suitable "socket" in place I drilled a small hole with a smaller diameter than the spindle tip and filled this with wax. Now as the spindle moves in the bearing block it generates friction, which means heat is produced. The heat then melts some of the wax in the hole which in turn lubricates the spindle. It works really well so far and is a slightly more natural approach than real bearings.

Blurred Piccy:

Cherry bow, Lawn mower starter cord, Cherry Spindle, Leylandii Hearth and Hornbeam bearing block.
IMAG0289.jpg

Last edited:

Rogelio L.

Jul 14, 2011
Spain
Yep, I also like it. I wonder if there are any waxy-like substances in the field that you could use for this. The whole point about fire by friction is using only what the forest provides to light it, so taking things with you spoils it a little. However taking a bit of wax from a candle you carry for something else seems fair enough. Nice little trick, thanks for sharing.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Yep, I also like it. I wonder if there are any waxy-like substances in the field that you could use for this. The whole point about fire by friction is using only what the forest provides to light it, so taking things with you spoils it a little. However taking a bit of wax from a candle you carry for something else seems fair enough. Nice little trick, thanks for sharing.

SWMBO says....."earwax", don't see why it wouldn't work

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I saw the nicest bearing block the other day. It's made from a Burl that's polished and on the underside it's been hollowed out for a limpet shell.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I saw the nicest bearing block the other day. It's made from a Burl that's polished and on the underside it's been hollowed out for a limpet shell.

Funny you should say that; I just got a collection of limpet shells to do just that for my "demo" set.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
a bit of green grass or leaf in the bearing block end works a treat, just make sure you do it every time the bow is used, i never had a problem that way...

Rogelio L.

Jul 14, 2011
Spain
Hi guys.
Funny enough that I found some limpet shells at home today. After having read about the bearing blocks on this thread, I couldn´t resist the temptation to try it. I first thought of carving a beautiful wood block and stick the shell into a hollow out, but did not have any worthy piece of wood at home. So what I did was simply hollowing out a split stick cut into size until the shell was held neatly inside it with some pressure from the drill. I also thought this is better because I can carry only the shell, making for a smaller and lighter load, with me and quickly improvise a block in the field. Once made, a new temptation arose: try it. It was awsome! I used a pine set that I made some weeks ago and produced an ember within seconds, with hardly any effort from my part. Also noticed that in this way the set lasts longer because you dont use up so much of the hearth or drill, and you dont have to constantly reshape the upper end of the drill to reduce friction. If you find any shells at some point, I would recommend you to give it ago, you'll be amazed at how easy it makes the job.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
The set I saw was made by The Big Labowski at the moot. The bearing block had been made from a gorgeous Burl.

I'm sure he would be happy to post pics when he gets back.

Along with this I have to say both TBL and Dave53 were two of the nicest and genuine guys I have met in a very long time.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Cheers Johnnyboy, shame you had to leave early. Was a pleasure meeting you! Same time next year bud ;)

The block is quite light in the picture (as new) but its taken on a really nice dark brown color now from the spindle smoke. As-said, get yourself some shells of sorts, it really smooths out the process and makes the drilling a pleasure...

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74465&highlight=bowrill+keeper+burl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE