Fire Steel Striker

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Hi All

Ive been inspired to have a crack at making my own fire steel and a couple for friends. ive ordered some blanks and stuff for handles but im struggling to find a nice striker. I dont want them to look cheap and the traditional hacksaw blade looks a bit naff IMO.

Does anyone have a link to where i can buy something a bit nicer or ideas for something that would fit the bill. i want to get something i can slot into a handle so both the steel and striker match in appearance.

Thanks in advance
Paul

LuckyDucky

Forager
Dec 7, 2011
Hertfordshire
Well ive had a brief look online. I the your best bet if you want something unique is buy some sheet metal and you can make the strikers and shape you want. Or you could go to a gadget or tobacco type shop and see if they have flat bottle openers then you can have that as a striker and bottle opener too.

Feb 10, 2008
Way out West
definately doesnt need steel to strike have even used the edge of a sharp rock. A frend of mine uses a flint arrowhead to strike his. The steel has an antler tine handle with a lanyard hole. The lanyard is made from plied brain tan buckskin lace which is then secured in around the notch on the arrowhead. Not only is it useful but looks really sweet as well!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE