Fire roll

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rabbit leg

Forager
Nov 9, 2016
UK and world
I am trying to find some natural fibres to replace cotton wool.
I am in Scotland and trying with thistle. But this gives two problems. It doesn't stay together when rolled. So I need to find something that will 'bind' it.
Also, the ash falls through it.

Finding plenty of flat stones, so no problem there.

I have used other fibres but nothing from the UK.

Anybody know of any good UK/Scotland natural fibres to be used in the fire roll?

Thanks.

Fire roll with rocks by Hola Siesta, on Flickr

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
See if you can find mugwort. It's very good. It grows wild along every road verge around here.
Usually it's the leaves folks use, but if you can get hold of the drying flower heads and pack them around the ash inside the leaves, maybe with some thistle or bog cotton down, then it's a better mix.

M

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Just a thought, never tried it though. In Scotland you have any amount of sheep and there's lots of woolly für lying about, already matted

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Would that work ?
Fleece doesn't really burn beyond a flare, ...and ye gods but it stinks when it does so. The lanolin in it just adds to the stench.

M

Rabbit leg

Forager
Nov 9, 2016
UK and world
Mugwort. Worth learning just so I can use the name.
The wool might work to hold the thistle together. Will keep my eye out.
Been trying with lime bark the last few days.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you pick some that's fairly dry you can rub it into a kind of fluff between you hands.
It burns with a beautiful white smoke, and it will sustain an ember that lets you blow up a tinder bundle into flame.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE