Fire Plough ( Plow! )

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stryker

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2008
Durham
Evening,

Has anyone had success with sourcing/making and using a fire plough salvaged from UK woods/forests?

I've read I need a softwood hearth and hardwood stick, but not sure are the best types of woods to look out for.

Cheers

Shaun

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
OH! one of those. Silly me forgot about that method of lighting. I think I need to take a good book on the train with me on saturday to refresh my knowledge.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I tried this the other week with Scruff and Earl. Lime on lime, but it wasn't totally dry. We got smoke, quite a bit actually, but no ember. We were all knackered and for me it's too much effort to ever bother trying again!

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
My youngest can get smoke using elder on elder, buggered if i can though

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Scruff reckons elder is good for the hand drill, although I've never tried it out before now. I'm using cat tail on willow, I reckon I need a thicker piece of cat tail as my hands are killing me! Bow drill is so much easier, but a lighter or matches is the easiest!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'll keep trying, it's a method I haven't tried in earnest before now. I assumed it would be beyond my skills, but I've seen a video of a guy using a three inch long drill on the hearth board, if he can do it with a small bit of wood like that then I'm sure I can get it sussed!

Stryker

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2008
Durham
Thanks for all the replies. It may be a cause of just experimenting.

Sycamore seems to be taking over everywhere up here, so may help myself to some of that for the stick.

Cheers again.

Ivan

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2008
Southern California, USA
Hi Shaun,
I have successfully done the fire low with a few different woods. One was California buckeye wood on itself. Wasn't easy. Buckeye is the same thing as Horse Chestnut if you've got that around. Lime sounds like a good wood for the hearthboard. Whatever works best with the drill on lime is worth a try. Good luck.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE