Fire pit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

thejollyroger

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2010
england
My partner and I decided to build a firepit / outdoor cooking area. We had the space and some old bricks.
The first thing was to dig out a hole to build it in.

A close up of the finished pit. We didn't use any mortar so we can change it in the future if we need to.

And we had to take it for a test run!

I am hoping to make a grill, spit and skewers to use on it as well.
I would love to spit roast some meat on it but we will probably start cooking something easier.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Very nice Mate, bet you'll have countless hours sitting round that with friends and family over the coming years :)

Was wondering....if you could dig it either deeper or sideways and sneak in a little single round pizza over with it....be nice to have fresh baked pizza to munch as you chew the cud :) Just an idea :)

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
At the risk of sounding like Keith Lard from that Peter Kay thing....

(look it up if you don't know)

That is way to close to the wooden fence and shed adjacent - without some kind of metal heat shield -and even then.....*winces*.

And as for weed prevention fabric under and around a fire pit - well that just made me giggle.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
At the risk of sounding like Keith Lard from that Peter Kay thing....

(look it up if you don't know)

That is way to close to the wooden fence and shed adjacent - without some kind of metal heat shield -and even then.....*winces*.

Buy a fire blanket and drape it over the fence when the pit is in use.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I want a fire pit and a small bread/pizza oven but Mr is an old stick-in-the-mud who doesn't like change and doesn't want to move things around the garden.

thejollyroger

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2010
england
Thanks for the positive feedback and the suggestions.
that is fabric for keeping away weeds, not the best idea on reflection but we live and learn! I will take that out before I light up again.
We have some spare bricks left so I was going to use these at the back to reflect heat and block the wind etc. but we had just made it and wanted to light a fire (who doesn't want to light a fire now and again!)

Petrochemicals is right it does need some ventilation so I will make up a grate to fit it to improve ventilation.
It is 2 1/2 Ft away from the fence and while you can't be too careful, I think/hope we can cook a burger or two with out burning the neighbourhood down. The fire blanket is a simple and effective idea which I might go for to be extra safe.

Still need to get some steal and make the grill etc. so watch this space.

Cranmere I think you should go for!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE