Fire Piston lighting wood shavings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I understand about the priciple of the fire piston..bit like a diesel engine? Compress enough air in a short space of time etc etc.

How do you get them going initally? Is that a small peice of charcloth in the smaller part of the piston?

I have only ever seen them advertised, never any instructions for use.

Facinating video, indeed lighting method, could someone explain it to me a bit further please?? :notworthy

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Re the charcloth and wood shaving.
gregorach said:
That's interesting Jeff... Any special technique, or just persistence?
I am guessing here but I wonder if this technique is like the method to get flame with just charcloth and a single leaf. In that one you get a reasonable sized dry leaf, roll it into a cigar shape, push some lighted charcloth down one end and just blow on the charcloth to white heat. Voila, a flame appears from the leaf.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
ArkAngel said:
How do you get them going initally? Is that a small peice of charcloth in the smaller part of the piston?
I have one of Jeff's fire pistons. There is a little well, cavity in the end of the piston. Into this is wedged a small amount of your chosen tinder material. The heat from the compression ignites the tinder. I have had success with charcloth, true tinder fungus, and cramp ball fungus. I think there are other materials that will work also.

steveo

Forager
May 10, 2005
Earth
Great video Simon !!! often wandered about fire pistons ,but it looks like it gets the job done well.... :)

gregorach said:
Yeah, nice vid Simon! :)

That's interesting Jeff... Any special technique, or just persistence?

I like to roll the charcloth into a tube or just fold it such that the coal is concentrated into a small area. Then simply bring it in close proximity to the leaf, birch bark or wood shaving and blow.

I put up a video clip here showing this in action.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=2100431105&page=0&g_Offset=0

Also of interest is a clip that show catching a spark in ordinary wood punk. This clip illustrates the value of natural tinders and why I rarely use charcloth.

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
I like to roll the charcloth into a tube or just fold it such that the coal is concentrated into a small area.

Me too, I have found that you can get away with just under an inch square, I have tried all sorts of sizes, but an inch is about foolproof. Its also important how tight you fold it. If its too tight it stops the air getting in even with blowing and you end up with the cloth burning a little like an onion losing its skin one layer at a time, rather that as a whole.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
rich59 said:
I have had success with charcloth, true tinder fungus, and cramp ball fungus. I think there are other materials that will work also.

The -unprocessed!- inner layer (trama) of false tinder fungus (Fomes fomentarius) also works well. Just make sure you use very thin slices.

Tom

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
Simon E said:
The stoned to death I can handle, its the Mayonaise on my French Fries that really scares me! ;)

Had a friend from Greece that like them that way too...
It is not bad if you have ever tried it... Though it seems to work best(for me at least), with the big fries, and not so well with the thin McD's fries...
He absolutely HATTED the whole idea of Peanut Butter too...:(

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
British Red said:
Great video mate - showed it to some guys at work who couldn't believe it worked (I ahd banged on about my fire pistion before). Have to take mine into work next week - with my flint and steel too :D I'll convert the city folk yet :)

I have my flint, steel, and charcloth with me right now, along with a Fero rod, lighter, flashlights, knives, etc...
I try to convert people all the time...

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
jamesraykenney said:
Had a friend from Greece that like them that way too...
It is not bad if you have ever tried it... Though it seems to work best(for me at least), with the big fries, and not so well with the thin McD's fries...
He absolutely HATTED the whole idea of Peanut Butter too...:(

Actually I used to live in Holland (Utrecht) for about a year(met a Dutch grad student when I was living in Italy, yada yada yada, Dank U wel! lol)

Anyway, I had loads of Mayo on my fries, the grub (food) and beer in Holland is great, I loved the place, but man oh man the tax is something else. I worked 40 hours overtime one month and ended up with LESS money than I would have had if I hadn't done any overtime at all. :cussing: so much for ambition and drive! :rolleyes:

In one year of being there, number of fights at the weekend witnessed. 0
Manchester... every night, sigh.....

bazil

Jul 14, 2006
under a fallen tree
i had an idea for a fire piston.....hard to describe........on the end of the plunger where you get the coal i think the tube should be split so that you can get a large coal.......you can get a bigger coal this way i think and it can be removed easier

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
One usually uses a 'Coal Extender'. This is a larger piece of material similiar in properties to the tinder in the piston. With the ember from the piston, light the extender and either discard or use them together to produce a live flame (I usually discard it)

For example, when using char cloth the piece in the piston is about 5 mm2. I use that to light an extender of about 25 mm2 and just flick out the remains from the piston.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE